I've always counted upon medical science to remain one step ahead of my demise. Unfortunately, that seems to have fallen through. Well, let's amend that a tad. The medical science exists, but practicality rules out its effectiveness to some extent. There are drugs that can ease my condition (COPD), but I'm not going to request them until it's absolutely necessary because I don't want to become reliant upon them. Likewise, a lung transplant could cure me, but I wouldn't accept one unless there was a viable organ available with no other recipient waiting for one. I got myself into this mess, so the lungs should go to someone who is ill through no fault of their own. Four of my cousins died of cystic fibrosis, including one who had a double lung transplant, and it's people like that who deserve first call.
Oops... sorry for the rant. This just seemed like the time to lay that out.