Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What would your utopia look like?

1. Aug 17, 2009 #1
    How would you design your eutopa or utopia, your perfect world. What would be the government, society, technology, and culture?

Actually More's original Utopia isn't so bad. A tad limited by the 16th century, but generally quite agreeable. Actually quite a few dystopias especially Brave New World, don't seem so bad either. And I would love to live in one of Ayn Rand's "collectivist" dystopias.

Note that the word Utopia does NOT mean "no place" though we have emphasized that side of it historically which says something in itself. It is a combination of outopia and eutopia (good place).

So how would you design your earthly paradise?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 17, 2009 #2
    when i kill the cancer this will be my utopia i am trying to do it but its look like that he will win in the end

4. Aug 19, 2009 #3
    Well there's a conversation stopper if I ever heard one...

Best of luck.

5. Aug 19, 2009 #4
    You should read Walden Two by Burrhus Frederic Skinner. It is the most realistic utopia that "exists". I just bought the book today after a good read in the library. :smile:

6. Aug 24, 2009 #5

baywax

Gold Member

Try H.G. Wells "Men Like Gods". My utopia is fully described in that book. Complete with social constructs, govt, tech... etc.

We, as a collective bunch of maniacal humans, have just started to scratch the surface of Well's Utopia as it is described in his book. Highly recommended by me.

7. Aug 30, 2009 #6
    I'm glad you do note that there's something to be said for dystopias. The big question is for whom the utopia is for. For one individual, for a small group of elite, for one nation, for humanity, or for the biosphere herself. The more inclusive the utopia is the more trade offs in some transcendental qualities (FREEDOM, DIGNITY,SAFETY) must be made. A paradise has to be defined before you can set up a plan for implementation. Maslow's hierarchy of needs may be a good guide for deciding which qualities and self affirming social feedback loops need to be designed to maintain stability. Since humans will be the primary implementors we have to either work within the mental, physical, and social limits of the human animal or change the human animal to suit our goals. I have noticed that literary utopias usually describe HOW people SHOULD behave to create the utopia. On the other hand in literary dystopias we are told HOW to MAKE people behave to create the dystopia. Frank Herbert's Hellstrom's Hive would be a great place to live if you were one of the pheromone controlled eugenically bred hive workers.

8. Aug 31, 2009 #7
    Huxley's "Island" was his vision of an actual utopia. That's an interesting one. A true "utopia" would probably involve humans rewiring some of them hardware, like in David Pearce's hedweb site.

9. Aug 31, 2009 #8
    Margaret Atwoods Oryx and Crake. Oryx creates a utopia. Of course he messed up because some humans still are around but hey its close enough.

10. Sep 4, 2009 #9

baywax

Gold Member

I think that a utopia would only arise were any "re-wiring" done "hands-off" so to speak... more like as in naturally selected. And I don't mean where people are eaten by robots if they behave inappropriately.

11. Sep 12, 2009 #10
    I'm easy my utopia would be the U.S.A getting back to the "spirit of '76"

12. Sep 12, 2009 #11

ideasrule

Homework Helper

Which ones? Surely you don't mean the one in "Anthem"?

13. Sep 12, 2009 #12
    Actually 'Crake' creates his utopia by infecting the world with a deadly virus and creating blissfully ignorant human mutants. Oryx is Crake's sexslave girlfriend.

Power to the pigoons!!!

14. Sep 13, 2009 #13

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What's with all this intellectual stuff? Think simple. Think Beach Boys. "Two girls for every guy". Since the Beach Boys are now old and craggy, they would probably add eliminating all those nasty old guy problems (prostrate, libido) to the list.

15. Sep 13, 2009 #14
    You want to fight the British?

Yeah, be funny to watch John Galt get tea-bagged.

16. Sep 13, 2009 #15

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

God gave it a shot with the garden of eden. It was perfect until he could not resist tossing in a snake to liven things up.

17. Sep 13, 2009 #16

ideasrule

Homework Helper

Well, God is human too. He just got jealous at Adam and Eve for living as comfortably as he did and needed an excuse to make them suffer.

18. Sep 13, 2009 #17
    Do you mean my personel Utopia (benevolant dictator of a small nation modeled on an idyllic view of England but with better weather and woman who regarded satisfying their Lord's every whim as an act of pleasurable duty) or a Utopia where I would have to interact with other humans as an equall?
    Jobrag

19. Sep 13, 2009 #18

baywax

Gold Member

On the difficulties during the development of an Utopia...

from: H.G Wells "Men Like Gods" or "Mr. Barnstaple takes a holiday".

and the realization that...

and the methodology... briefly...

20. Sep 21, 2009 #19
    Baywax, I looked in my library for "Men Like Gods". What is so special about it? For me, it just didn't stick...
    EDIT: For me it was a critique of society. Are there any ideas about how these "problems" can be fixed?

21. Sep 21, 2009 #20
    A utopia is not possible when humans have needs, feelings.. thoughts..
    A utopia can only be made with machines.
    But I think in some ways, individuals can experience something close to utopia in specific settings.
    So I guess my utopia would be just like the world is today. I don't think I'm smart enough to create a better world than we have now..

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook