What's a Free & Safe Video Conferencing Tool?

• Thread starter kyphysics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Video
In summary, there are concerns about the safety of Zoom as a video meeting tool, with incidents of hacking and security breaches being reported. However, it is still widely used and has been successful in large conferences. Other alternatives such as Google Meet also have their own limitations and safety concerns. Overall, it is important to be cautious and mindful of security measures when using any video conferencing software.
kyphysics
I've heard of Zoom, of course, as a video meeting tool. However, I've heard stories of it being hacked into by people and it being sometimes unsafe.
I'm wondering if there is something like it that is both free and "safe" (I assume nothing is 100% safe, but am thinking of just not having any major security scandals attached to it and a good reputation)? Appreciate the feedback. ...And, out of curiosity, are you folks using these tools more since the pandemic started?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Try zoom first And see if you like it. Nothing is safe. In a conferencing environment anyone of the participants can leak information.

In one case, someone had their zoom password on a sticky note on the wall behind them and they wondered how they got hacked.

Zoom is getting so much attention nowadays that you can be sure they are more serious about hacking attempts.

Likes pbuk and kyphysics
It is true that Zoom meetings are not safe from hacking, but it is also true that many large conferences have already used it successfully (eg. ICHEP 2020). I read somewhere that Zoom is implementing a feature that will inform the participants before a meeting is disrupted/hacked by an intruder.

For my college classes, we have extensively used Google Meet, and it worked flawlessly most of the time.

Most of the video conferencing softwares have participant/time limits. Zoom, on free license, will automatically disconnect everyone after 40 mins. Google Meet has a limit on the number of participants (can't remember exactly how many are allowed, but the number was < 100).

Zoom and Google Meet both allow recording the meeting, but that isn't available in the free version. You can, of course, use a screen recording software like OBS Studio for recording the meeting.

Edited: typo

Last edited:
Likes kyphysics

1. What is a free and safe video conferencing tool?

A free and safe video conferencing tool is a software or platform that allows users to communicate and collaborate through video calls, without any cost and with security measures in place to protect user data and privacy.

2. How do I know if a video conferencing tool is safe to use?

You can check the security measures and protocols of a video conferencing tool by reading their privacy policy and terms of use. Look for features such as end-to-end encryption, password protection, and data protection policies to ensure the safety of your information.

3. Are there any free video conferencing tools that are also safe to use?

Yes, there are many free video conferencing tools that prioritize the safety and security of their users. Some examples include Zoom, Google Meet, and Microsoft Teams. It is important to do your own research and read reviews before using any tool.

4. Can I use a free video conferencing tool for business purposes?

Yes, many free video conferencing tools offer business plans or features that allow for larger meetings, more participants, and other business-related features. However, it is important to carefully review the terms and conditions to ensure that the tool is suitable for your specific business needs.

5. Are there any risks associated with using free video conferencing tools?

As with any online platform, there are potential risks associated with using free video conferencing tools. These risks can include data breaches, security vulnerabilities, and privacy concerns. It is important to carefully research and choose a reputable and trusted video conferencing tool to minimize these risks.