1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What's a good book on intro analynical geometry?

1. Oct 20, 2006 #1
    Hi, I am doing the Discrete math course in high school and we are doing some analynical math concepts like
    vectors,
    cross product,
    dot product,
    line equation in the form of r = a + tm,
    plane equations in the form of r = a +tu +sv,
    intersection of lines
    and planes and planes and planes etc..

I don't really know which branch of mathematics they belong to and after reading about 3 pages of book recommendations I couldn't find anything on them. Seems of to full of calculus for the most part. Can anyone suggest some good textbooks for a beginner? My school's textbook is quite boring and horrible since it tells you how but not why. This is really hard when application questions come up on a test. You can memorize all the concepts you want but you can't solve it unless you know what it is about. This thinking "outside the box" is driving me crazy and I think I need to understand the math concepts before doing anymore homework.

My math background isn't exactly great since I focused on memorization during my early years. Thus, I forget most of the Grade 11 mathematics I learned before other than the stuff I need for my current math course. Bummer. Thanks for any recommendations.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2006 #2
    Maybe About Vectors by Banesh Hoffman. Here's the table of contents. Or maybe this book, which has more on lines and planes. At a more advanced level, there's A Vector Space Approach to Geometry by Melvin Hausner. He does use a little calculus here and there, but you could probably just ignore it. (No, I don't have stock in Dover, :rolleyes: I just like their selection of books).

Last edited: Oct 20, 2006
  4. Oct 21, 2006 #3
    Some great books there. Thanks alot. :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?