What's a good physics book for beginners that teaches math too?

In summary, the speaker recommends that the person improve their math skills by learning Intermediate Algebra and Trigonometry before tackling Physics. They suggest visiting online resources such as Paul's Online College Algebra Notes and Stitz-Zeager for free downloads. The speaker also mentions Khan Academy as a potential resource for video lectures. Once the person feels comfortable with their math skills, they can start learning about Physics using a free book from Light and Matter.
Drops of Fire
The highest degree I have is a high school diploma that I got last year and the most advanced math I've taken is applied geometry and 11th grade physical science for science. I've been interested in physics (and astronomy) for a while now and I've learned a lot of stuff about it from documentaries and research online, but I've decided to start from the beginning and and read an introductory book to learn all of the basics and work my way up. Are there any good books for me with my education or what should I do to start learning about physics in depth? What are your thoughts on Physics for Dummies?

Physics news on Phys.org
I would recommend that you get caught up in math. You need to first learn Intermediate Algebra (Hek if you want, you can do College Algebra instead; it would help more) and Trigonometry if you want to learn the Algebra/Trig based Physics. I don't know of any Physics book that would teach Math as well. Your best bet is to learn the math first then tackle the Physics.

Paul's Online College Algebra Notes (free for download):http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/Alg/Alg.aspx

This site has both College Algebra and Trigonometry (free for download):http://www.stitz-zeager.com/Precalculus/Stitz_Zeager_Open_Source_Precalculus.html

Also Khan Academy is not a bad place to start if you want to watch video lectures.

www.KhanAcademy.org

Then when you feel comfy enough, you can dive right into the Physics! Here is a free book on it.

http://www.lightandmatter.com/lm/

1. What are the best physics books for beginners?

Some popular and highly recommended physics books for beginners include "Physics for Scientists and Engineers" by Giancoli, "Fundamentals of Physics" by Halliday and Resnick, and "Introduction to Classical Mechanics" by David Morin.

2. Which physics books also teach math?

Many physics books for beginners also incorporate basic math concepts, such as algebra and calculus, into their explanations. Some examples include "Physics for Scientists and Engineers" by Giancoli and "Fundamentals of Physics" by Halliday and Resnick.

3. Is it necessary to have a strong background in math to understand physics?

While a strong background in math can certainly be helpful in understanding physics, it is not necessarily a requirement. Many beginner-level physics books provide clear explanations and examples that make the math concepts accessible to readers with varying levels of math knowledge.

4. Are there any online resources or videos that can supplement a physics book for beginners?

Yes, there are many online resources and videos available that can supplement a physics book for beginners. Some popular options include Khan Academy, MIT OpenCourseWare, and Crash Course Physics on YouTube.

5. Can a physics book for beginners also be used for self-study?

Yes, many physics books for beginners are designed for self-study and do not require a formal course or instructor. However, it is important to actively engage with the material and work through examples and practice problems to fully grasp the concepts.