Looking for beginner to advanced physics textbooks

In summary, the person is looking for recommendations for a beginner to advanced physics textbook. They mention being in year 9 in Australia and wanting to go beyond the curriculum. They already have Feynman's lectures on physics and are open to suggestions from other authors and textbooks. They also mention that the suggested books do not have to fit into the Australian curriculum. When it comes to choosing a book, they suggest avoiding any titled "non-calculus" as it may complicate things unnecessarily. They also mention that older editions of books can be significantly cheaper and sometimes even better. Some recommended introductory physics books include Halliday Resnick, Young Freedman, Serway, and Paul Tipler. For those interested in relativity, they suggest looking
ujint
Hi there, I’m looking for beginner to advanced physics textbook. The books doesn’t have to be by only one author or series of volumes. I’m in year 9 at the moment (australia) and really want to learn further than what the curriculum provides. I’ve got the feynman’s lectures on physics, so any other authors and textbook suggestion would be greatly appreciated. Also, suggested books don’t have to fit into the australian curriculum.
If anything is not clear enough please leave a comment and I’ll clarify. Thank you :)

Physics news on Phys.org
I think any introductory experimental-physics book would be good. I'm not familiar with the Australian system of education, but you should avoid any books titled something with "non-calculus". Not using the necessary mathematics to talk about physics is unnecessarily complicated. So a book like

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1319365817/?tag=pfamazon01-20

The Feynman lectures are at a higher level and among the best general physics books ever written.

• Informative
Likes rudransh verma, ujint, hutchphd and 2 others
For the books that have large numbers of editions, it is perfectly acceptable to get an older edition which can be significantly cheaper.

Likes ujint, hutchphd, vanhees71 and 1 other person
Yep, and sometimes older editions are even better. E.g., Goldstein, Classical Mechanics 2nd edition is great, while the 3rd edition contains quite serious mistakes (concerning the treatment of anholonomic constraints).

Likes ujint and hutchphd
Some other introductory physics books include
Halliday Resnick
Young Freedman
Serway

If you want to try some relativity, look at
Bondi, Relativity and Common Sense
Geroch, General Relativity from A to B
or at a higher level
Taylor and Wheeler, Spacetime Physics

Likes ujint and vanhees71
I am a fan of Paul Tipler who has college freshman and sophomore level books. Of course the most challenging stuff for me was the Calculus so that is very important to digest early.

Likes ujint and vanhees71

What are some good beginner-level physics textbooks?

Some popular beginner-level physics textbooks include "Physics for Scientists and Engineers" by Serway and Jewett, "Fundamentals of Physics" by Halliday and Resnick, and "University Physics" by Young and Freedman.

What are some advanced physics textbooks for those with a strong background in math?

For those with a strong background in math, some recommended advanced physics textbooks include "Classical Mechanics" by Goldstein, "Introduction to Electrodynamics" by Griffiths, and "Quantum Mechanics" by Shankar.

Are there any online resources for learning physics?

Yes, there are many online resources for learning physics, such as Khan Academy, MIT OpenCourseWare, and Coursera. These resources offer video lectures, practice problems, and other materials to help supplement textbook learning.

What topics should a beginner-level physics textbook cover?

A beginner-level physics textbook should cover topics such as mechanics, thermodynamics, electromagnetism, and optics. It should also introduce basic mathematical concepts and problem-solving techniques used in physics.

Are there any physics textbooks specifically designed for self-study?

Yes, there are several physics textbooks designed for self-study, such as "Physics for Scientists and Engineers: A Strategic Approach" by Knight and "Concepts of Physics" by H.C. Verma. These textbooks often include additional practice problems and self-assessment tools to aid in self-study.