1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Schools What's a good university/college for medical physics?

1. Sep 1, 2012 #1
    I'm in my 3rd year of a physics Honours BSc and i'm looking into a career in medical physics. I just wanted to know what are some schools that offer programs in medical physics, but a little more importantly, is there any conceivable way I can skip my masters? I'd like to go straight to Ph.D if that's in any way possible.

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 1, 2012 #2

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Here's the list:
    http://www.campep.org/campeplstgrad.asp

As to which ones are better than others, it really depends on what you want out of your degree. I've posted in other threads about what I personally would look for. Generally I'd say to look for:
    - a strong research component, and projects that you find interesting
    - a strong physics component
    - professors with protected academic time
    - clinical exposure and opportunities for QA experience

As for skipping the MSc, that will depend on the program. In most Canadian programs for example, you're admitted to an MSc and then you can either complete it or simply advance into a PhD program after a successful year. The thing is, even if you do an MSc, if you carry on into a PhD, the PhD is likely to take less time than a lone PhD, because you will have already completed your coursework and been working in the field.

4. Sep 2, 2012 #3
    Thanks a lot, that helps quite a bit. I was wondering what kind of things I can start doing now in order to help me with my goals

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook