What's Causing the Mysterious Rumbling Sounds in the Sky?

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter kdog1982
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Strange
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 3K views
kdog1982
Hi,I'm new here,so forgive me if I don't follow protocol correctly.

I have been following reports across the world of strange rumbling sounds coming from the sky.
Some last just minutes,others many hours.
Most reports that I am looking into deal with a mechanical thumping,humming sound not associated with any earthquakes,plane engines,or any other sources.

Things I am looking into are fracking locations and possible atmospheric conditions causing some sort of sound propagation.

Any thoughts on this?
Thank you in advance.
K
 
Physics news on Phys.org
How about thunder?

If you want us to have anything to say about this, you will have to point us to the reports you are reading.
 
You really havn't given us much to go on. Strange rumbling sounds could have a thousand different sources.
 
My tummy. Around noon.
 
I apologize for not providing a link.

Here is one that a friend is compiling that is a list of such sounds.
And,no it's not thunder.

And here.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Ah. I see.

How are these reports being gathered? How do you know these people?

And how do you know it's not thunder? Wait, a more well-formed question: how do you rule out thunder as a reasonable explanation for some of these anecdotal accounts? It is certainly the most plausible explanation for some of them.
 
Sorry, but we don't allow links to crackpot sites.