Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What’s Dispersion got to do with Schroedinger?

1. Mar 31, 2009 #1

mysearch

Gold Member

Hi,
    In my ignorance of quantum mechanics, which I am trying to address, I had initially assumed that any resolution of the wave-particle duality of photon and electrons led to some sort of common probability equation. Therefore, I am trying to better understand how different dispersion relationships seem to lead to lead to different wave equations and how to interpret the implications. Up to now I had only understood dispersion as a wave attribute within optics, e.g. spectrum spread through a prism due to different propagation velocities, within a given media, associated with each frequency.

[1] [tex] A = A_0sin(kx-wt) [/tex]

Citing equation [1] as a classical starting point for a wave function, which leads to the following equation based on the 2nd derivative and the relationship [tex][c=w/k = f \lambda ] [/tex], where [c] is the speed of light.

[2] [tex] \frac { \delta^2 \Psi}{ \delta t^2} = c^2 \frac { \delta^2 \Psi}{ \delta x^2} [/tex]

So my first question is whether equation [2] is still a valid baseline for light, when being described as a wave and a photon particle within quantum mechanics?

The reason for asking this question is based on the apparent fact that a photon [c=w/k] and a particle have different dispersion relationships. In a pseudo-derivation of Schroedinger’s wave equation, which I won’t detail here, you are led to the dispersive relationship for a free particle of mass [m] that originates with deBroglie’s wavelength equation:

[3] [tex] w = \frac {\hbar k^2}{2m}[/tex]

This is also described as a dispersion relationship, but one which then seems to prevent the previous method, as used for light, of equating the 2nd derivatives with respect to [x] and [t]. However, the equivalent solution to equation [2] has the following form and was described as Schroedinger’s wave equation for a free particle, ignoring the issue of potential energy [V] for the moment.

[4] [tex] -\frac { \hbar ^2}{2m} \frac { \delta^2 \Psi}{ \delta x^2} = i \hbar \frac { \delta \Psi}{ \delta t} = E \Psi [/tex]

As such, I am assuming that equation [4] only applies to particles with rest mass [m] and therefore cannot be applied to a photon. So:

Is there another Schroedinger’s wave equation for photons?
    How do I interpret the meaning of equation [3]?

Here is my current assumption, not a statement of fact:
    In the case of a photon, the dispersion relationship [c=w/k] corresponds to the propagation velocity equalling the phase velocity [vp], while by re-arranging equation [3], the propagation velocity seems to correspond to the group velocity [vg]:

[5] [tex] v_g = \frac {dw}{dk} = \frac {\hbar k}{2m} [/tex]

On the basis of deBroglie’s wavelength [tex] \lambda = h/mv [/tex] being substituted back into [5]

[6] [tex] v_g = \frac {\hbar k}{2m} = \frac {h}{2m \lambda} = \frac {mv}{2m} [/tex]

I am slightly confused by the 2 in the denominator of [6], which comes from [3] and suggests that [vg =v/2] after the mass [m] is cancelled:

Does the 2 have anything to do with kinetic energy E=mv/2?
    Have I just made a mistake?
    Is mass [m] subject to relativistic effects, e.g
    [tex]E^2=p^2c^2+m_0^2c^4[/tex] ?

Would appreciate correction of any wrong assumptions on my part. Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. May 8, 2009 #2
    That 2 comes from a mistake doing the derivative in [5] :P
    What you should get is Vg = V, the velocity of the particle. Mind you, I'm also trying to understand this whole thing as well...

4. May 8, 2009 #3

alxm

Science Advisor

The Schrödinger equation is non-relativistic and photons are as relativistic as a particle can get. So it simply can't be used at all to describe them.

However, if you forget about photons and work with a classical electromagnetic field, you can calculate optical properties of matter by studying a system with a varying electromagnetic field (=light) as a time-dependent perturbation. So we're talking about the S.E. + Maxwell's equations, and it's a pretty difficult subject. See a textbook on quantum optics.

A proper (and modern) derivation of the Schrödinger equation (e.g. see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathem...um_mechanics#Postulates_of_quantum_mechanics") doesn't make use of de Broglie's semi-empirical result, etc. The latter becomes a result of the former, not vice-versa.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook