What's going on with the COVID cases in Alabama?

In summary, the CDC reports a 450% increase in Covid cases in Marengo County, Alabama. This increase is mirrored on New York Times with nice little graphs that show increases in a few other counties bordering on the north, but you have to set your browser to block cookies from their site to read it. It's unclear what the reason for this data is, but it may be a sign of a real increase in cases.
Mike S.
TL;DR Summary
Marengo County reports a 450% increase in Covid cases in the past week. WHY?
The CDC reports a 450% increase in Covid cases in Marengo County, Alabama ( https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tr...cases=new_cases_week_over_week_percent_change ). The same thing is visible on New York Times with nice little graphs that show increases in a few other counties bordering on the north, but you have to set your browser to block cookies from their site to read it. ( https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/us/covid-cases.html )

There are also sharp increases in two adjacent small counties in South Dakota, but that is very few actual people and probably doesn't mean much. Still, the last time I noticed a few "colonies on the petri dish" like this was right before Omicron was announced. Just sayin'. So I'm curious what the reason for this data is, and whether the increase in cases is real or a statistical artifact.

Biology news on Phys.org
Mike S. said:
Summary:: Marengo County reports a 450% increase in Covid cases in the past week. WHY?

The CDC reports a 450% increase in Covid cases in Marengo County, Alabama ( https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tr...cases=new_cases_week_over_week_percent_change ). The same thing is visible on New York Times with nice little graphs
It must be a tiny little county; it doesn't even show up as a dark blue spot on the US Map. And the NY Times article apparently wants me to sign up for something to read the article, so no thanks. Can you post some screenshots (PDF or JPEG) of what you are seeing? Thanks.

Likes dlgoff
Marengo County is small - only 20,000 people. However, it is part of a larger blob of blue on the CDC map - for example, Greene County says 288% increase, to match Marengo's now 525%. The image doesn't seem very impressive because the color isn't proportional to the increase past a small range, though I see there are state-level statistical artifacts in the data now. New York Times shows curves for most of the high-incidence counties in Kentucky and Tennessee that are flat. (Pointe Coupee Parish, Louisiana now also has a sharp spike now, which wasn't there yesterday)

As I said, for New York Times you have to set your browers to block cookies - simply set it to block cookies from nytimes.com - and then you can read most of the articles there, and the ones you can't are fluff not worth reading anyway. It doesn't make any sense, but it's been a long time since things made sense.
margengo nyt curve.gif

cdc map marengo.gif

Likes Oldman too
Mike S. said:
Summary:: Marengo County reports a 450% increase in Covid cases in the past week. WHY?

So I'm curious what the reason for this data is, and whether the increase in cases is real or a statistical artifact.
It could represent a real increase in cases/deaths and possibly magnified by how current period is compared to a previous period, in which a high number is reported following a low number. All it takes for a large increase is a single super-spreader event in which a large number of people gather (possibly indoors) with one or persons infected. Or statistically, if one place went from 1 cases 5, 6, 7, . . . cases, then that would represent a substantial increase if one would report by %, or say from 2 to 9 cases (=450%), or if one considers the difference, going from 2 to 11, where 9 is an increase of 450%.

https://usafacts.org/visualizations...pread-map/state/alabama/county/marengo-county

Likes berkeman
Mike S. said:

The CDC reports a 450% increase in Covid cases in Marengo County, Alabama ( https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tr...cases=new_cases_week_over_week_percent_change ). The same thing is visible on New York Times with nice little graphs that show increases in a few other counties bordering on the north, but you have to set your browser t o block cookies from their site to read it. ( https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/us/covid-cases.html )

There are also sharp increases in two adjacent small counties in South Dakota, but that is very few actual people and probably doesn't mean much. Still, the last time I noticed a few "colonies on the petri dish" like this was right before Omicron was announced. Just sayin'. So I'm curious what the reason for this data is, and whether the increase in cases is real or a statistical artifact.
Today they show a 862% change in the last week. Looking at the historical graph, Marengo county had a reduction in cases per week for the previous 3 week periods, so this may be a reconciliation. Alabamas most populous county, Jefferson, had a larger change mid-May last year of 930%. So population doesn't appear to be a factor.

Jefferson vs Marengo counties Alabama covid cases weekly changes.png

Looking through weekly changes for all the counties of Alabama for the entire pandemic shows that 18 counties had larger increases.

marengo.bama.png

As to why there are these spikes in cases, my guess is that it's caused by the logistical problems of collecting, logging, and presenting the data.

Source of data: Johns Hopkins University: time_series_covid19_confirmed_US.csv

Likes jim mcnamara, BillTre and Oldman too
OmCheeto said:
Today they show a 862% change in the last week. Looking at the historical graph, Marengo county had a reduction in cases per week for the previous 3 week periods, so this may be a reconciliation. Alabamas most populous county, Jefferson, had a larger change mid-May last year of 930%. So population doesn't appear to be a factor.

I don't find the % change graph so useful, and find it more useful to plot the number of cases instead. Here's the CDC data for Marengo County:
1645377686125.png

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tr...labama&data-type=Risk&list_select_county=1091

Clearly, Marengo County is experiencing a second surge of cases and the intensity of the surge is similar to the Omicron peak experienced in mid Jan.

Ygggdrasil said:
I don't find the % change graph so useful, and find it more useful to plot the number of cases instead. Here's the CDC data for Marengo County:
View attachment 297385
https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tr...labama&data-type=Risk&list_select_county=1091

Clearly, Marengo County is experiencing a second surge of cases and the intensity of the surge is similar to the Omicron peak experienced in mid Jan.
Well, looking at that set of data, I would agree. But going to the Alabama Public Health site, you get a different picture:

Marengo County AL . Screen Shot 2022-02-20 at 7.11.04 PM.png

Quite ordinary looking. No second surge. Looks similar to every other county in Alabama for the period.reference: https://alpublichealth.maps.arcgis.com/apps/dashboards/6d2771faa9da4a2786a509d82c8cf0f7
Tab 6

Likes jim mcnamara and Ygggdrasil
I should say thanks for the replies (and sorry for bumping the thread - I don't see how to just edit my first post to call it off). Now even the New York Times data shows a rapid return to 'normalcy' in the area, so it must just have been some pent-up data.

1. What is the current number of COVID cases in Alabama?

The current number of COVID cases in Alabama is constantly changing. As of [insert date], there have been [insert number] confirmed cases and [insert number] deaths.

2. Why are COVID cases increasing in Alabama?

There are a few factors that could contribute to the increase in COVID cases in Alabama. These include relaxed social distancing measures, increased testing availability, and people not following recommended guidelines such as wearing masks and avoiding large gatherings.

3. How is Alabama handling the COVID crisis?

Alabama has implemented various measures to combat the spread of COVID, such as issuing a stay-at-home order, requiring masks in public, and increasing testing and contact tracing efforts. However, the effectiveness of these measures is still being evaluated.

4. What is the mortality rate of COVID in Alabama?

The mortality rate of COVID in Alabama is [insert percentage]. However, this number may vary depending on factors such as age, underlying health conditions, and access to healthcare.

5. When can we expect the COVID situation in Alabama to improve?

It is difficult to predict when the COVID situation in Alabama will improve. This will depend on factors such as the effectiveness of measures taken, vaccine development and distribution, and individual behaviors. It is important to continue following recommended guidelines to help slow the spread of the virus.