What's is the best way to indicate a vector

• Thread starter SSDdefragger
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vector
In summary: So for him, the tilde was a way of saying "print me!"In summary, many people use an arrow on top for vectors.
SSDdefragger
Personally I indicate vectors as a putting bar on a letter, but some people just underline it or put an arrow above it. What's your way of doing so?

Physics news on Phys.org
arrow on top. works perfectly!

I use the arrow and it seems like it's pretty standard notation from all of my textbooks to do it that way, so that's how I do it.

SSDdefragger said:
Personally I indicate vectors as a putting bar on a letter, but some people just underline it or put an arrow above it. What's your way of doing so?

Arrow for me, too. Bar on top is also used for the average/mean.

I am looking for time efficient and yet easily recognizable and good looking method. Any suggestions?

Most of us use the arrow on the top, i don't see a more time efficient method. What do you have in mind? What do you feel is comfortable?

It is too tedious to do so, and if you are going too fast they become like an mess on the top of a bar. Arrows are definitely not the best choice for me.

Arrow on top. If the arrow is going to get in the way, I capitalize and doublestrike one of the strokes, or bold the lowercase.

I also use an arrow on top, I don't see how it can be more time efficient or more easily recognizable.

But instead of an arrow like this --> with a v-shaped head I only give it one stroke to the top like in this picture:
0.jpg

An arrow like this is done in 1 smooth pen-movement, yet obvious and neat.

Likes Suraj M
What people prefer will probably depend on how they were taught in the past.

I always use underlining (W = Fx) in handwriting and bold non-italic font [itex] \left( W = \textbf{F} \cdot \textbf{x} \right) [/itex] when typing.

I've also seen lecturers use a "wavy underline" something like this:

x
~​

A vector arrow (with arrowhead) is drawn in a specified direction. The vector arrow has a head and a tail.

Likes nuuskur and Silicon Waffle
I give each of them a thought bubble that says "I'm a vector."

Likes Blackberg
That depends on the purpose. What I use:
Calculate something quickly on paper/whiteboard: usually no special mark, unless it would be really confusing without, then they get an arrow (a real one or the one from post 9).
Write something down: \vec: ##\vec{a}##.

Surprised no one chimed in with "use an [abstract] index": ##v^a##
(Oh, this isn't the Relativity forum :) )

robphy said:
Surprised no one chimed in with "use an [abstract] index": ##v^a##
(Oh, this isn't the Relativity forum :) )
If we're going to go down that route, there is Dirac notation [itex]|\psi\rangle[/itex]. (Oh, this isn't the Quantum Physics forum.)

And some do not use any special notation at all, using the same typography for vectors and scalars alike. (Oh, this isn't the Linear Algebra forum.)

I took a class in elasticity in 1982, and the professor always used a curly symbol (a tilda) over the symbols (letters.) which were vectors. I never asked him why, but he was in the minority of the professors who used arrows, bars, over or under the letters. Five years later I was taking electromagnetics with a professor who also used the tildas above the letters. I never asked him about the notation, but one day, he volunteered why he did this.
It seems like in the old days, the tilde over the symbol indicated a request to the (printer) or typesetter to "use bold-faced type". He told me he could send his notes directly to a printer if he so desired, since by learning to use this notation, he was automatically preparing his manuscript to be printed.

1. What is a vector and why is it important?

A vector is a mathematical quantity that has both magnitude and direction. It is important because it helps us understand and describe movement, forces, and other physical quantities in the real world.

2. What are some common ways to indicate a vector?

Some common ways to indicate a vector include using an arrow above the symbol, writing the symbol in bold text, or using a hat symbol (^) above the symbol.

3. Can vectors be represented graphically?

Yes, vectors can be represented graphically using arrows. The length of the arrow represents the magnitude of the vector, and the direction of the arrow represents the direction of the vector.

4. How do you add or subtract vectors?

To add or subtract vectors, you can use the head-to-tail method, where the tail of one vector is placed at the head of the other vector. The resulting vector is the one drawn from the tail of the first vector to the head of the second vector. You can also use mathematical equations to add or subtract vectors.

5. What is the difference between a vector and a scalar?

A vector has both magnitude and direction, while a scalar only has magnitude. For example, velocity is a vector quantity because it has both speed and direction, while speed is a scalar quantity as it only has magnitude.