What's more important for engineering; physics or math(s)?

In summary, if you are interested in pursuing engineering, it is important to have a strong understanding of mathematics and physics. While all four subjects (maths, further maths, physics, and chemistry) are important in engineering, the specific field you choose will determine which subject is the most important. For example, if you are interested in chemical engineering, chemistry will be the most important subject for you. However, in order to get into a good engineering school, it is crucial to have good grades in maths and physics. It is also important to focus on conceptual understanding rather than just mastering math skills. If you are struggling with physics, it is recommended to practice as much as possible and seek help from teachers or online resources
mr-tom
Hi I'm studying maths, further maths, physics and chemistry A levels and I was just wondering which of them are the most important if I take up engineering. I think I can get an A in maths and possibly further maths, but I'm struggling with our physics syllabus and predict myself a C or below. It's the subject that I enjoy the most and I really don't want to drop it for A2 but I think I may have to.
Would I be accepted to do an engineering degree with good maths results but a poor physics result?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think it depends what subfield of engineering you are interested in. Of course, all three are important for any engineering specialization, but if you want to be a chemical engineer, obviously chemistry will be the most important to you.
But to get into a good engineering school, I think you must have good grades in at least maths and physics. I think they consider chemistry less important, unless you're going to chemical engineering. So my advice to you is to work on your physics as hard as you can. Obviously you're smart enough, since you can get an A in maths. If you work hard enough and practice as much as possible, I think you can make it. Try to solve a lot of problems. That helps a lot in the understanding of the material.

I'm interested in aerospace and mechanical the most. I've heard that aerospace involves the most mathematics so that's what I'd ideally end up doing.

What it comes down to is this: you won't need to know quantum mechanics or modern physics, and you won't need to know any of the high level math for math majors, either.

Take what the department requirements tell you to take, and then do what you like. The worst thing you can do is take a class that you don't like, but you think will help you out later, and it turns out that it is in fact useless.

I have found that the more math I know, the easier physics becomes. You still have a long road ahead of you. Learn a way to be consistent with school-work now and carry it over with you to the university.

Math, of course

As for engineering fields mechanical engineering is more toward math, electrical engineering is more physics.In mechanics yoy don't need too much to understand the physical phenomenon.There aren't too manny physics concepts.Furthermore mechanics is a field of studying in math colleges but electromagnetism is not.

sterproj said:
As for engineering fields mechanical engineering is more toward math, electrical engineering is more physics.In mechanics yoy don't need too much to understand the physical phenomenon.There aren't too manny physics concepts.Furthermore mechanics is a field of studying in math colleges but electromagnetism is not.

All of the EE's I know say that math is more important in their field.

CS

mr-tom said:
Hi I'm studying maths, further maths, physics and chemistry A levels and I was just wondering which of them are the most important if I take up engineering. I think I can get an A in maths and possibly further maths, but I'm struggling with our physics syllabus and predict myself a C or below. It's the subject that I enjoy the most and I really don't want to drop it for A2 but I think I may have to.
Would I be accepted to do an engineering degree with good maths results but a poor physics result?

Personally, I think that you'll need a very good understanding of mathematics. Professionally, I've found that you definitely need a great understanding of mathematics.

CS

sterproj said:

As a PhD student in ME I find this collections of statements wrong.

You need physical concepts in most engineering disciplines. For ME you will obviously be focusing on Mechanics (i.e. 1st semester physics - Newtonian Mechanics mostly). EE electricity and magnetism will be more of a focus. Then of course the conceptual understanding of matter and chemical interaction would be the most important for a ChE.

The other engineering disciplines (Aero/Astro, Civil, Industrial, etc.) are really offshoots of these basic three (maybe not Industrial, but that is another topic). Aero and Civil really have roots in ME so to be successful in those fields you should really focus on physics and particularly the mechanics side of physics.

IMHO, as an engineer, I feel that the most important thing a student can do is focus on conceptual understanding and that will provide the most success to you in the future. Focusing all of your energy on math will likely just make you good at math, but not necessarily help with engineering. In engineering math is a tool which allows us to describe/model physical interactions and phenomenon; furthermore it is a single tool in your arsenal. The most important tool you develop in college as an engineer is intuitions and insights, not math, so focus on the concepts (of course that does not mean you should not develop good math skills those are important too).

That being said, I would recommended studying hard for physics. There isn't any easy way it just takes lots of practice. With practice you will begin to develop intuition and conceptual understanding of the subject which will serve you greatly when you get to college. If you need help, talk with your teacher, post here, or do some online research.

h2oski1326 said:
You need physical concepts in most engineering disciplines.
Engineering is ALL just physics concepts. It is important to have a feel for the physics, to picture where the loads and forces are, to be able to picture the elecirc field etc.

For most engineering you don't need a lot of maths beyond A-level, or at least what was A-Level 20 years ago (kids today grumble). You need calculus and trig, you aren't going to need as much maths as a physics degree.
The most useful maths skill in engineering is knowing how and where to approximate and how to estimate answers to check the detailed calcualtion is correct.

mgb_phys said:
Engineering is ALL just physics concepts. It is important to have a feel for the physics, to picture where the loads and forces are, to be able to picture the elecirc field etc.

For most engineering you don't need a lot of maths beyond A-level, or at least what was A-Level 20 years ago (kids today grumble). You need calculus and trig, you aren't going to need as much maths as a physics degree.
The most useful maths skill in engineering is knowing how and where to approximate and how to estimate answers to check the detailed calcualtion is correct.

Wow, i always had the misconception that engineering was laden with complicated math.

Oerg said:
Wow, i always had the misconception that engineering was laden with complicated math.

I guess some aerospace equations can get difficult, especially the PDE's. But don't kid yourself, you are not doing "complicated math" with respect to what a real mathematics student is doing. I'm sure you will do fine as long as you are willing to put in the time. I doubt any engineering job is going to ask for a proof of the Existence-Uniqueness theorem or anything like that. Most of the math is probably going to scaled down and much more about the application side rather than the purely theoretical side.

I wasn't trying to rundown engineering.
There are complex differential equations in eg. fluid dynamics and antenna design particularly, but they generally either don't have an analytical solution and you have to use numerical methods or the standard solution was worked out years ago.

But if you don't get number theory or formal proofs don't worry - engineers are quite happy to believe that pi is a 'bit more three' and don't have to prove it's irrational on a daily basis :tongue:

ps. And at least you don't have to understand &*$*ing Tensors!

Regardless of the relative demands once you're on the course, I think physics would be extremely useful to have in order to actually get any offers. I think the majority of places simply won't consider you without it. My advice would be to draw up a list of places you might want to go to and have a look at their admissions requirements. I've had a quick look around and it varies considerably- some insist on 3As including maths and physics, some don't require physics and want ABC, some insist on physics but you only need a C in it... etc :confused: The one thing that is absolutely constant is that everywhere demands maths.

FrogPad said:
I have found that the more math I know, the easier physics becomes. You still have a long road ahead of you. Learn a way to be consistent with school-work now and carry it over with you to the university.

I have to concur with FrogPad on that. Though I'm a software engineer.

Since you'd probably be dealing with computer control systems and computer-based analysis in almost any field of engineering, I would recommend some Discrete Mathematics and basic programming courses as well. But of course I'm biased. :tongue2:

P.S. And Numerical Analysis.

Last edited:
h2oski1326 said:
As a PhD student in ME I find this collections of statements wrong.

You need physical concepts in most engineering disciplines. For ME you will obviously be focusing on Mechanics (i.e. 1st semester physics - Newtonian Mechanics mostly). EE electricity and magnetism will be more of a focus. Then of course the conceptual understanding of matter and chemical interaction would be the most important for a ChE.

The other engineering disciplines (Aero/Astro, Civil, Industrial, etc.) are really offshoots of these basic three (maybe not Industrial, but that is another topic). Aero and Civil really have roots in ME so to be successful in those fields you should really focus on physics and particularly the mechanics side of physics.

IMHO, as an engineer, I feel that the most important thing a student can do is focus on conceptual understanding and that will provide the most success to you in the future. Focusing all of your energy on math will likely just make you good at math, but not necessarily help with engineering. In engineering math is a tool which allows us to describe/model physical interactions and phenomenon; furthermore it is a single tool in your arsenal. The most important tool you develop in college as an engineer is intuitions and insights, not math, so focus on the concepts (of course that does not mean you should not develop good math skills those are important too).

That being said, I would recommended studying hard for physics. There isn't any easy way it just takes lots of practice. With practice you will begin to develop intuition and conceptual understanding of the subject which will serve you greatly when you get to college. If you need help, talk with your teacher, post here, or do some online research.

I don't know where you go to school, but, based on my days at Virginia, I'm pretty sure Civil Engineering is an off-shoot of Animal House:rolleyes: Those guys would pour a slump test, fire up the BBQ, pop a couple beers and laugh at the rest of us. Then they made more money on their first jobs.

TVP45 said:
...based on my days at Virginia...

Oh no! Not another ACC guy! :approve:

Yes. At graduation, we were told to "go forth and take basketball to all the lands."

TVP45 said:
Yes. At graduation, we were told to "go forth and take basketball to all the lands."

Really? Who's supposed to bring it to Virgina! Ha, ha...just kidding...Go Heels! :rofl:

CS

mgb_phys said:

I'm a dual major in EE and physics and I have used about the same amount of math for both degrees.

mgb_phys said:
ps. And at least you don't have to understand &*$*ing Tensors!

Engineers don't have to understand tensors? There are many fields of engineering (especially at the graduate level) that require a working knowledge of tensor analysis.

stewartcs said:
Really? Who's supposed to bring it to Virgina! Ha, ha...just kidding...Go Heels! :rofl:

CS

I can overlook that. My daughter graduated from NC-Charlotte.

TVP45 said:
I don't know where you go to school, but, based on my days at Virginia, I'm pretty sure Civil Engineering is an off-shoot of Animal House:rolleyes: Those guys would pour a slump test, fire up the BBQ, pop a couple beers and laugh at the rest of us. Then they made more money on their first jobs.

:rofl:

I agree, didn't mean to lump Aero with Civil. Of course, here at Purdue, they are also the unlucky souls that get to stand outside at 7:30am when it is 0 and snowing for a surveying lab.

leright said:
Engineers don't have to understand tensors? There are many fields of engineering (especially at the graduate level) that require a working knowledge of tensor analysis.

Tensors show up in both fluid and solid mechanics at the graduate level in engineering.

h2oski1326 said:

I agree, didn't mean to lump Aero with Civil. Of course, here at Purdue, they are also the unlucky souls that get to stand outside at 7:30am when it is 0 and snowing for a surveying lab.

Yeah, I agree. The surveying prof apparently had a very wicked plot they had to close. We'd sit in the warmth of the Applied Mechanics building and watch them struggle for hours in the wind and rain.

h2oski1326 said:

Tensors show up in both fluid and solid mechanics at the graduate level in engineering.

and in electromagnetics

to tell the truth I am a Mathematics Major and mathematics is harder... when you start doing Advanced Engineering Mathematics... its mostly Differential Equations, PDE, SDE, etc
especially Bessels Functions and Fourier Bessels Function... you will start scratching your head inside that class... but its great...

as math people we go to a higher level of Calculation than engineers and Physics students...

1. Is physics or math(s) more important for engineering?

Both physics and math(s) are crucial for engineering. While physics provides the fundamental principles and laws that govern the behavior of the physical world, math(s) provides the tools and techniques for analyzing and solving complex engineering problems. Therefore, a strong foundation in both subjects is necessary for success in engineering.

2. Can one excel in engineering with a strong background in only one subject, physics or math(s)?

No, it is essential to have a strong understanding of both physics and math(s) to excel in engineering. Both subjects are interrelated and complement each other in the field of engineering. Without a thorough understanding of either subject, it would be challenging to apply their principles to real-world engineering problems.

3. Which subject should I focus on more to become a successful engineer?

It is recommended to have a balanced understanding of both physics and math(s) to become a successful engineer. While physics provides the conceptual understanding, math(s) provides the necessary tools for problem-solving. Focusing on one subject more than the other can create gaps in knowledge and hinder one's success in engineering.

4. Can I skip learning certain topics in physics or math(s) and still be successful in engineering?

No, it is not advisable to skip any topics in either physics or math(s) when pursuing a career in engineering. Each topic builds upon the previous ones, and skipping them can create gaps in knowledge and understanding. It is crucial to have a complete understanding of both subjects to excel in the field of engineering.

5. Is it possible to be better at one subject, either physics or math(s), and still succeed in engineering?

Yes, it is possible to have a stronger understanding of one subject over the other and still succeed in engineering. However, it is essential to have a basic understanding of both subjects to excel in the field. It is also recommended to continue learning and strengthening one's knowledge in both subjects to become a well-rounded engineer.