Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Whats the deal with the higgs boson?

1. May 30, 2012 #1
    from the little info i have found it i gather we are still looking. where can i find more info? google just brings up wiki and some crap from cnn. i dont know much about it, however i would like to. if it gives other particles mass how can we find it in a particle collider? wouldnt it already have affected the particles used? or would it give them mass again? would the chances be better in a pure vacuum? any help would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. May 31, 2012 #2

Chalnoth

Science Advisor

There is a tentative detection from the LHC late last year. The two main particle detectors each saw relatively small excesses in their Higgs signals at the same place. The detection isn't definitive yet, but I'd personally give it about a 60-70% probability of being correct. Here's a write-up that you might be interested in:
    http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn21457-what-the-latest-lhc-revelations-say-about-the-higgs.html

4. May 31, 2012 #3

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The Higgs boson is a critical, missing piece in modern particle theory. Without the Higgs, the current model would require major changes. Given the current model works very well, this would not be a convenient outcome. The best place to watch for new information is at the CERN site. New data and analysis is expected this year. I'm fairly optimistic detection will be confirmed. This will be huge news - as in the kind meriting mention on major news networks.

5. Jun 1, 2012 #4
  6. Jun 1, 2012 #5
    You mean its there in theory but we haven't detected it yet, right?

7. Jun 1, 2012 #6

Chalnoth

Science Advisor

It's an essential component of the standard model and many proposed theories that go beyond the standard model. While we do not yet have a definitive detection, there is a tentative one that was announced late last year by both of the main LHC experiments (CMS and Atlas).

8. Jun 2, 2012 #7

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

As both detectors already collected the same amount of data as 2011 this year (technically, 20% less integrated luminosity, but the higher energy compensates this), expect new results at the summer conferences.

Friday morning (Vancouver, probably PDT), both collaborations (ATLAS and CMS) will give a talk about their higgs searches - maybe they can present something from 2012, but probably nothing conclusive.
    Another good date would be the first week in july.

9. Jun 3, 2012 #8
    In reply to Darken-Sol.
    A good reference source for updated information is theoretical physicist Professor Matt Strassler's blog just Google for same. You can have his regular updates delivered to your inbox by signing-up and he will be pleased to answer any queries you may have. His penchant for data accuracy by way of opinion is highly recommended.

10. Jun 3, 2012 #9
    thank you. you guys are awesome.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook