Why Do We Need Multiple Higgs Bosons?

• I
  • Thread starter Silviu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Higgs
In summary, physicists are searching for more massive Higgs bosons in order to gain a better understanding of electroweak symmetry breaking and the role of W and Z bosons in gaining mass. While supersymmetry predicts the existence of multiple Higgs bosons, it is not the only approach that does so. The implications of finding more Higgs bosons are still unknown as they have not been discovered or measured yet.
Silviu
Hello! I read many things about the importance of Higgs boson for explaining the electroweak symmetry breaking and how thus W and Z boson gain mass. However I am not sure I understand why physicists are looking for more massive Higgs. Can someone explain to me what would be their importance?

Physics news on Phys.org
How do we know there's only one if we don't look to see if there are more?

Vanadium 50 said:
How do we know there's only one if we don't look to see if there are more?
Yes, yes I agree. My question is, what are the implications of having more. Like we knew that we need the one we found in order to explain electroweak symmetry breaking. What are the theoretical implications of having more?

That depends on what exactly would be found.
Supersymmetry necessarily has more Higgs bosons, but it is not the only approach that predicts more than one Higgs-like boson.

Supersymmetry requires more than one Higgs boson, so that's one implication. Other than that, it's hard to describe the implications of something that hasn't been discovered - much less having its properties measured - yet.

Why do we need more Higgs?

The Higgs boson is an important particle in the Standard Model of particle physics. Its discovery in 2012 confirmed the existence of the Higgs field, which is responsible for giving mass to all other particles. However, there are still many unanswered questions in physics that require more research on the Higgs boson.

What are some potential applications of further studying the Higgs boson?

Further research on the Higgs boson could lead to a better understanding of the origin of mass and the nature of the Higgs field. It could also potentially lead to the discovery of new particles or forces, and have implications for technologies such as quantum computing and energy production.

Why do we need to continue studying the Higgs boson even after its discovery?

While the existence of the Higgs boson has been confirmed, there is still much to learn about its properties and interactions. Further studies of the Higgs boson could help us better understand the fundamental building blocks of the universe and uncover new physics beyond the Standard Model.

What are some current research efforts related to the Higgs boson?

Scientists are currently conducting experiments at the Large Hadron Collider to gather more data on the Higgs boson and its properties. There are also ongoing theoretical studies and simulations to further understand the implications of the Higgs boson's existence.

How does the study of the Higgs boson impact our understanding of the universe?

The discovery of the Higgs boson has already had a significant impact on our understanding of the universe. It has helped explain the origin of mass and has been a key piece in the Standard Model, which is the most successful theory of particle physics to date. Further research on the Higgs boson could lead to new discoveries and a deeper understanding of the fundamental laws of the universe.