Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member

What's the difference between mall and shopping mall?:blushing:
From Merriam-Webster,

http://www.C.com/dictionary/mall [Broken],

an evolution of meaning can be seen.

Last edited by a moderator:

No difference. When you've seen a mall, you've seen 'em all.

In common everyday American speech, "mall" is short for "shopping mall".

"Mall" might have a different meaning in other literary or historical contexts, though:

1: an alley used for pall-mall2 [The Mall, promenade in London, originally a pall-mall alley] a: a usually public area often set with shade trees and designed as a promenade or as a pedestrian walk b: a usually paved or grassy strip between two roadways3 a: an urban shopping area featuring a variety of shops surrounding a usually open-air concourse reserved for pedestrian traffic b: a usually large suburban building or group of buildings containing various shops with associated passageways

jtbell
Mentor

Besides (shopping) malls, I've seen auto malls and flea malls.

Danger
Gold Member

Hi, Lisa!
I suspect that it depends upon where you live. In North America, the word 'mall' is just about never used other than for a shopping centre. As far as I know, that's the only official definition, and the concept arose somewhere in your neck of the woods (Babylon, I think). Once in a while, I've heard it applied to outdoor gathering areas such as a university quad, but that's incorrect usage.

edit: Oops! Got beaten to it. Good post, Zoob.

Chi Meson
Science Advisor
Homework Helper

To elaborate, there are some cities that have a "mall-district" which is the same as a pedestrian district (but sounds less "pedestrian"). There is also "The Mall" in the center of Washington DC. In New England, the same thing would be called "The Green."

Lisa!
Gold Member

Thank you very much all of you.:smile:
I really appreciate your help.

1: an alley used for pall-mall2 [The Mall, promenade in London, originally a pall-mall alley] a: a usually public area often set with shade trees and designed as a promenade or as a pedestrian walk b: a usually paved or grassy strip between two roadways3 a: an urban shopping area featuring a variety of shops surrounding a usually open-air concourse reserved for pedestrian traffic b: a usually large suburban building or group of buildings containing various shops with associated passageways
Very interesting indeed. I was quite surprised to discover once that
  • Mall shops are open only after 09:30 around here
  • Before 09:30, the mall is full with joggers, or at least fast walking smiling people, most often discussing by pairs
They more or less follow the shape of the walls, describing the entire inside perimeter of the building. I guess it's too hot in summer and too cold in winter to risk oneself into wild animal/flower encounters in public parks.