Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What's the difference between mall and shopping mall?:blushing:

1. Apr 21, 2009 #1

Lisa!

Gold Member

What's the difference between mall and shopping mall?:blushing:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 21, 2009 #2

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: Difference?

From Merriam-Webster,

http://www.C.com/dictionary/mall [Broken],

an evolution of meaning can be seen.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  4. Apr 21, 2009 #3

No difference. When you've seen a mall, you've seen 'em all.

5. Apr 21, 2009 #4

In common everyday American speech, "mall" is short for "shopping mall".

"Mall" might have a different meaning in other literary or historical contexts, though:

1: an alley used for pall-mall2 [The Mall, promenade in London, originally a pall-mall alley] a: a usually public area often set with shade trees and designed as a promenade or as a pedestrian walk b: a usually paved or grassy strip between two roadways3 a: an urban shopping area featuring a variety of shops surrounding a usually open-air concourse reserved for pedestrian traffic b: a usually large suburban building or group of buildings containing various shops with associated passageways

6. Apr 21, 2009 #5

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Besides (shopping) malls, I've seen auto malls and flea malls.

7. Apr 21, 2009 #6

Danger

Gold Member

Hi, Lisa!
    I suspect that it depends upon where you live. In North America, the word 'mall' is just about never used other than for a shopping centre. As far as I know, that's the only official definition, and the concept arose somewhere in your neck of the woods (Babylon, I think). Once in a while, I've heard it applied to outdoor gathering areas such as a university quad, but that's incorrect usage.

edit: Oops! Got beaten to it. Good post, Zoob.

8. Apr 21, 2009 #7

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

To elaborate, there are some cities that have a "mall-district" which is the same as a pedestrian district (but sounds less "pedestrian"). There is also "The Mall" in the center of Washington DC. In New England, the same thing would be called "The Green."

9. Apr 21, 2009 #8

Lisa!

Gold Member

Thank you very much all of you.:smile:
    I really appreciate your help.

10. Apr 21, 2009 #9

Very interesting indeed. I was quite surprised to discover once that
    • Mall shops are open only after 09:30 around here
    • Before 09:30, the mall is full with joggers, or at least fast walking smiling people, most often discussing by pairs
    They more or less follow the shape of the walls, describing the entire inside perimeter of the building. I guess it's too hot in summer and too cold in winter to risk oneself into wild animal/flower encounters in public parks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook