What's the difference between theoretical and computational physics?

In summary, computational physicists use computers to model and solve complex problems, but they also need to have a strong understanding of traditional theoretical physics and programming. They spend a lot of time with pencil and paper, and must have a strong grasp of numerical analysis and methods to efficiently solve problems. Overall, computational physics requires a unique combination of skills and thinking to tackle complex problems in the field of physics.
Frion
As I understand it, the days of paper and pencil are mostly over. So what exactly do computational physicists do that that makes them different from theoretical physicists?

Physics news on Phys.org
Frion said:
As I understand it, the days of paper and pencil are mostly over.

Naa.

My notebooks would disagree.

Are there still exact results to be had in physics?

Frion said:
Were they ever?

Frion said:

Exact results stopped existing in certain fields long before computers came along

Wonderfully helpful posts...

Computational physicists usually do some pencil and paper stuff to figure out how to model something most efficiently on a computer. It's good to know how a computer works almost to the level where software and hardware meet, like memory storage and processing, things like that. At a higher level, you'll want to know a lot of numerical analysis and methods so that you figure out the fastest and/or most accurate way to solve a problem.

In a way, I think computational physics is still like traditional theoretical physics. I spend lots of time with pencil and paper trying to figure out what some equations mean in different ways, and really understanding how these formulas work helps you to figure out better ways of solving problems. Then of course you'll need to know how to program pretty well, and some people don't like that, but I think it's fun and it's something that requires significant brainpower, though it requires a different way of thinking than the way you think about physics [usually].

Your question was sort of vague and general, so I hope that's what you were looking for.

What is theoretical physics?

Theoretical physics is a branch of physics that focuses on developing mathematical models and theories to explain and predict the behavior of physical systems. It involves using principles and concepts from mathematics and other sciences to understand the fundamental laws of nature.

What is computational physics?

Computational physics is a branch of physics that uses computers and numerical methods to study and solve complex physical problems. It involves developing and using computer algorithms and simulations to model and analyze physical phenomena.

What is the difference between theoretical and computational physics?

The main difference between theoretical and computational physics is their approach to understanding physical systems. Theoretical physics uses mathematical models and theories to explain and predict behavior, while computational physics uses computer simulations and algorithms to analyze and solve problems. Theoretical physics is more focused on developing fundamental theories, while computational physics is more concerned with practical applications.

What are some examples of theoretical physics?

Examples of theoretical physics include quantum mechanics, relativity, and thermodynamics. These theories help explain the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level, the nature of space and time, and the relationship between energy and heat.

What are some examples of computational physics?

Examples of computational physics include simulations of fluid dynamics, molecular dynamics, and astrophysical systems. These simulations help researchers understand and predict the behavior of complex physical systems that are difficult or impossible to study experimentally.