Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What's the difference between these two equations?

1. Feb 19, 2016 #1
    say we have some wavefunction |psi> and we want to find the probability of this wavefunction being in the state |q>. I get that the probability is given by P = |<q|psi>|^2 since we're projecting the wavefunction onto the basis state |q> then squaring it to give the probability density.

However what if we want to measure some observable quantity corresponding to some operator Q with one (of multiple) associated eigenstate |q>, and then find the probability that the system is in a state |q> after being observed. Would probability then be P = |<q|Q|psi>|^2 since I'm collapsing the wavefunction then projecting it onto the basis state |q>?

But say I didn't make a measurement of the system (not apply Q to |psi>) I get the original result. In these two cases I get a different answer do I not? In both cases I'm finding the probability of the wavefunction being in state |q>. Why are the answers different and what do |<q|psi>|^2 and |<q|Q|psi>|^2 fundamentally mean?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2016 #2

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

##|\langle q_n |\psi\rangle|^2## is the one with probabilistic interpretation.
    Note that ##|\langle q_n |Q|\psi\rangle|^2 = |q_n|^2## where ##q_n## is the eigenvalue corresponding to the eigenstate ##|q_n\rangle## and it's obviously not a value which can be associated to be a probability.
    To emphasize again, ##|\langle q_n |\psi\rangle|^2## is the one with probabilistic interpretation. This follows from the average value of ##Q## (the average value is used here because it connects the theory and experiment) when measured repeatedly over a state ##|\psi\rangle##
    $$
    \langle \psi |Q|\psi\rangle = \sum_n q_n |\langle q_n |\psi\rangle|^2
    $$
    Since the LHS is interpreted as an average, the ## |\langle q_n |\psi\rangle|^2## in the RHS must be the frequency distribution which gives a measure of how often a measurement result with ##q_n## occurs.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook