What's the Etymology of your PF Name?

• Thread starter Les Sleeth
  • Start date
In summary, the names given to players' personal flight forms in Pokémon seem to be based on people or things with meanings that the player might find confusing or unpleasant. Some of the names (like Boulderhead) are not very creative, while others (like Les) are based on personal experiences. Franznietzsche is a combination of two famous authors who may not be popular with the player.
arildno said:
What a surprize!

If I were to choose like this, I haven't quite found out whether I would have ended up with Lord Wimsey (Whimsy?) or Miss Marple..
ha ha, but that depends on what you were doing in your life or what was that your were mainly concerned with at the time (the day, the week, or the month) you registred in PF, :rolleyes:
For me, Christi's novels were the first things I turned to after 4 years in university of engineering. Also, forgot to mention that I was born in Belgium (though I am not a belgian myself) so there is a particular bond to this character

Physics news on Phys.org
Evo said:
No way, the child of Evo will be 18 in 10 days. We're going to have to have a two day PF blow out! :approve:
YAY! 2 CAKES!
Evo said:
(I was only 5 years old when she was born...really!)
I'm not that surprised, I thought that was a sisterhood requierment

Math Is Hard said:
ooh, I love abaci!

Um, it's "abacuses" dear. :rofl:

Tom Mattson said:
Um, it's "abacuses" dear. :rofl:
If alumni is plural for alumnus, and octopi is plural for octopus, why isn't abaci same for abacus?

T'was a joke.

I'll go ask Arildno. He seems to be quite the expert on plural forms these days! :biggrin:

Les Sleeth said:
Has anybody besides me wondered about some of the names chosen for one's PF ID?

in case anyone has wondered...
http://www-groups.dcs.st-and.ac.uk/~history/Mathematicians/Fourier.html
(everyone on this forum should know who that guy was, except maybe the biologists & philosophers)

fourier jr said:
in case anyone has wondered...
http://www-groups.dcs.st-and.ac.uk/~history/Mathematicians/Fourier.html
(everyone on this forum should know who that guy was, except maybe the biologists & philosophers)

Yup, knew that one.. With that user name, we have high expectations of your posts. :smile:

As a paper for college, I wrote one that delved a bit into Fourier's biogr.. for example, his formulating the concepts of his "Fourier Series" while posted along the Nile (Egypt), in the commission of Napoleon's Army. For the appendix of the paper, I worked out the Fourier Transform of several useful functions commonly found in engineering. Pretty cool, being able to get some math credit for writing an historical account. :cool:

Last edited:
i'm 'new' to 'science' and also think I'm a bit of a 'scientist' oh and theirs a magazine so i though ooooo snazzy woird play