What's the Issue with the Second Approach to Solving the Limit of Sinx /x?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter ChrisVer
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Limit
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Science Advisor
Messages
3,372
Reaction score
465
Hello, I am just having a small confusion in extraction of the limit:
[itex]lim_{x→∞} \frac{sinx}{x}[/itex]

One way to do it is by the sandwich rule:
[itex]- \frac{1}{x} ≤ \frac{sinx}{x}≤ \frac{1}{x}[/itex]
from where you get that by taking the limit on both sides:
[itex]lim_{x→∞} \frac{sinx}{x}=0[/itex]

Now on the other hand I'd like to write the sin through one of its definitions:
[itex]sinx=∑_{n=0} (-1)^{n} \frac{x^{2n+1}}{(2n+1)!}[/itex]
and deal it as a polynomial... In that case, by taking the limit of x approaching infinity, I will get infinity instead, since every [itex]x^{k}, k>1[/itex] will cancel out the denominator...
In fact it will be like:
[itex]lim_{x→∞} \frac{1}{x} ∑_{n=0} (-1)^{n} \frac{x^{2n+1}}{(2n+1)!}[/itex]
[itex]lim_{x→∞} \frac{x-x^{3}/6 + ...}{x}[/itex]
[itex]lim_{x→∞} (1-x^{2}/6 + ...)[/itex]
which in fact is undefined...What is the problem of the 2nd approach?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ChrisVer said:
Hello, I am just having a small confusion in extraction of the limit:
[itex]lim_{x→∞} \frac{sinx}{x}[/itex]

One way to do it is by the sandwich rule:
[itex]- \frac{1}{x} ≤ \frac{sinx}{x}≤ \frac{1}{x}[/itex]
from where you get that by taking the limit on both sides:
[itex]lim_{x→∞} \frac{sinx}{x}=0[/itex]

Now on the other hand I'd like to write the sin through one of its definitions:
[itex]sinx=∑_{n=0} (-1)^{n} \frac{x^{2n+1}}{(2n+1)!}[/itex]
and deal it as a polynomial... In that case, by taking the limit of x approaching infinity, I will get infinity instead, since every [itex]x^{k}, k>1[/itex] will cancel out the denominator...
In fact it will be like:
[itex]lim_{x→∞} \frac{1}{x} ∑_{n=0} (-1)^{n} \frac{x^{2n+1}}{(2n+1)!}[/itex]
[itex]lim_{x→∞} \frac{x-x^{3}/6 + ...}{x}[/itex]
[itex]lim_{x→∞} (1-x^{2}/6 + ...)[/itex]
which in fact is undefined...


What is the problem of the 2nd approach?

The problem with the second approach is that if [itex]x[/itex] is sufficiently large then
[tex] \frac{x^n}{n!} < \frac{x^{n+2}}{(n+2)!}[/tex]
so you can't ignore the tail.

EDIT: more precisely,
[tex] \lim_{x \to \infty} \lim_{N \to \infty} \sum_{n=0}^N \frac{x^{2n}}{(2n+1)!} = 0[/tex]
but
[tex] \lim_{N \to \infty} \lim_{x \to \infty} \sum_{n=0}^N \frac{x^{2n}}{(2n+1)!}[/tex]
does not exist.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person