What's the meaning of strength?

  • Thread starter Thread starter rkatcosmos
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Strength
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
rkatcosmos
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
I am coming across definitions which says certain substances (like martensite) are hard but brittle. I can't understand the meaning.
Brittle substances have yield strength closer to breaking strength. If something breaks/fails easily then how can it be hard..?
Pls help me out with some numbers...
 
Physics news on Phys.org
the harder they are the less flex they have and they will break easier to a point. its like mounting something up completely solid. its harder but more likely to break things because it cannot absorb vibration or impact as good. it just takes the force. so a certain force will be lower on something with more flexibility. I think I kind of rambled. but it makes sense to me