Metal bar/tube strength by length and thickness.

In summary, the author is trying to figure out how to make something using metal tubing and is not sure what formulas to look up or what strength test to use. He is asking for feedback on how to measure the strength of metal tubing at different lengths.
Metalheadman
Hello guys I am working on designing somethings and I am using metal tubing. I do not know what type of metal tubing I am going to use this all depends on the math after I work my problem out. I am not sure what formulas to look up or what strength test I need to look up.
For example if I have a piece of metal tube or round bar that is 13 inches and the same metal tube or round bar that is the exact same thickness but the second one is 20 inches I know that the 20 inch tube is going to be more brittle than the tube that is 13 inches when supporting its own weight and bend a little (even though we could not see it at those differences).
So my question is what math and strength formulas could I use to figure out how thick the 20 inch or any inch tube has to be to be the same strength of the same tube that is not as long.
Like with using random numbers if I have a 13 inch piece of steel that is .25 inch thick how thick does a 20 inch piece of same steel have to be to have the same strength at the end of the tube and have the same amount of stiffness as the shorter one. I am just wondering I can not remember what strength that is or what formulas I can use to measure this across the board with different metals like Steel, Stainless, Aluminum, Titanium and other types of metals to figure out these types of problems at different lengths.

I hope that I explained this correctly I know what I mean I just hope I am explaining it correctly.
Thank you guys

Engineering news on Phys.org
Strength and stiffness are not the same. It depends on your application as to whether the tube is loaded axially in tension, or axially in compression, or subject to bending or twisting. Got something in mind?

Metalheadman said:
Hello guys I am working on designing somethings and I am using metal tubing. I do not know what type of metal tubing I am going to use this all depends on the math after I work my problem out. I am not sure what formulas to look up or what strength test I need to look up.
For example if I have a piece of metal tube or round bar that is 13 inches and the same metal tube or round bar that is the exact same thickness but the second one is 20 inches I know that the 20 inch tube is going to be more brittle than the tube that is 13 inches when supporting its own weight and bend a little (even though we could not see it at those differences).
So my question is what math and strength formulas could I use to figure out how thick the 20 inch or any inch tube has to be to be the same strength of the same tube that is not as long.
Like with using random numbers if I have a 13 inch piece of steel that is .25 inch thick how thick does a 20 inch piece of same steel have to be to have the same strength at the end of the tube and have the same amount of stiffness as the shorter one. I am just wondering I can not remember what strength that is or what formulas I can use to measure this across the board with different metals like Steel, Stainless, Aluminum, Titanium and other types of metals to figure out these types of problems at different lengths.

I hope that I explained this correctly I know what I mean I just hope I am explaining it correctly.
Thank you guys
Can you post a drawing of what you are trying to build? How are you going to put it together? With welding or bolting or what? :smile:

1. What is the relationship between length and strength of a metal bar/tube?

The strength of a metal bar/tube is inversely proportional to its length. This means that as the length increases, the strength decreases.

2. How does the thickness of a metal bar/tube affect its strength?

The thickness of a metal bar/tube directly affects its strength. Thicker bars/tubes have higher strength compared to thinner ones.

3. Is there a specific formula to calculate the strength of a metal bar/tube based on its length and thickness?

Yes, there is a formula called the Euler formula which can be used to calculate the critical buckling stress of a metal bar/tube based on its length and thickness.

4. Can the strength of a metal bar/tube be improved by increasing its length and thickness?

Yes, increasing the length and thickness of a metal bar/tube can improve its strength. However, there is a limit to how much it can be improved and increasing it beyond a certain point may not have a significant impact on the strength.

5. Are there any other factors besides length and thickness that can affect the strength of a metal bar/tube?

Yes, there are other factors such as the type of metal, its composition, and any external forces applied to the bar/tube that can affect its strength. The environment in which the bar/tube is used can also play a role in its strength.