Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Whats the price of Thermographic camera?

1. Sep 2, 2010 #1
    Hey whats up. How much will be the price of a Thermographic camera, im thinking in doing something like spy operations(yeah i know im kinda crazy bla bla).

Also whats the name of the technology that let you see trough walls? it is infrared?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 2, 2010 #2

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A thermographic camera costs a lot, depending on your requirements.

The devices to see through walls are known as windows.

4. Sep 2, 2010 #3
    http://www.instructables.com/pages/search/search.jsp?cx=partner-pub-1783560022203827%3Anpr2q7v5m6t&cof=FORID%3A11&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=infrared+camera [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  5. Sep 3, 2010 #4

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Just couldn't resist, could you, brewski?

6. Sep 6, 2010 #5
    The "basic" model used ones I've seen run around $3,000 to $5,000.
    New basic I think run 10,000-15,000.
    Pro new models run from 20,000-100,000 and more.

As far as imaging a thermal hotspot through walls, it depends.
    Is the wall aluminum, like in some trailers? If so, there might be some issues.
    Is the wall concrete? Similar issue.
    Is the wall just wood siding and wood 2/4 supports, sheetrock and minimal insulation? Good chance of capturing an image.

7. Sep 27, 2010 #6
  8. Dec 22, 2010 #7
    no existing camera will let you see through walls - TV lies

if the blue and red end of the visible spectrum won't penetrate then the less energetic infra red won't - need Xrays which requires a source on the other side of the wall

9. Dec 25, 2010 #8
    Look into terahertz imaging. It's not great and the technology has a long way to go.

10. Dec 25, 2010 #9

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The last time I tried to get one at work, the high end professional models with the complete set of lenses was ~$450K, needless to say, we have not ordered one yet.

11. Dec 26, 2010 #10
    The IR camera setup in our lab was about $16k for the total setup. As far as I know there is no commercially available technology that lets you see into buildings. Well, except for windows of course.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook