What are the pros and cons of using IP cameras for home security?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Borg
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Cameras
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 4K views
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Messages
2,408
Reaction score
5,259
There have been two break-ins in our neighborhood in the past two months which got me to thinking about security cameras. This is my first day researching security camera installations. I didn't know anything about IP cameras before today and didn't even know that they existed (I didn't realize the http://blog.dlink.com/connect/hello-world/#more-1" ). I've been reading some interesting information about setup and remote monitoring that sounds like I could get something basic working for a few hundred dollars. But, I would like to check with others who may have done this before I purchase anything.

I am looking to set up a system that I can monitor remotely and receive alerts. So far, I have reviewed a DLink system that has something called D-ViewCam management software. From what is described on their site, it is more than I had hoped for as far as cost, ease of setup, future expansion, and remote monitoring capabilities including alerts, etc. I also like the fact that it doesn't need to run on a computer at home - the cameras just an internet connection.

For now, I'm mainly interested in the pros and cons of what I've found. Does the system work as advertised? Is it too propriatory or can third-party software work with any IP camera? What other considerations need to be taken into account?

I would also be interested to know if there are other manufacturers in a similar price range that might have better quality while still maintaining the features that the DLink systems have. Or, is DLink a pretty good solution? I'm looking to keep costs to a bare minimum so it isn't going to be helpful to tell me about how I can spend $500+ on a system.

Thanks for any help!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you know electronics, I would get a Arduino controller and build my own security webcam. You will probably get the most versatility from something that you built yourself. This is assuming you have a good chunk of spare time.

PS: are you a college student? I've seen some of your posts and you seem quite interesting. Nice avatar btw.
 
I second the building your own notion - ever heard of 101 spy gagets for the evil genius? There are some really good ones in there that I've seen, but you could just as easily have a look about on the web.
 
haxtor21 said:
If you know electronics, I would get a Arduino controller and build my own security webcam. You will probably get the most versatility from something that you built yourself. This is assuming you have a good chunk of spare time.

PS: are you a college student? I've seen some of your posts and you seem quite interesting. Nice avatar btw.

Owen- said:
I second the building your own notion - ever heard of 101 spy gagets for the evil genius? There are some really good ones in there that I've seen, but you could just as easily have a look about on the web.

Thanks Haxtor and Owen. I don't really have the time to assemble my own camera system. I have heard of the 101 book some time ago but, I never get past reading those types of books. BTW, I am far from being a college student. :-p