What's the Probability of Finding a Quantum Particle in Each Box?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Axiom17
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Particle Quantum
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Axiom17
Messages
70
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A quantum particle is described by the wavefunction [itex]\psi(r)[/itex]. There are 2 identical boxes (A & B).. what's the probability of finding the particle in each box?

Homework Equations



[tex]\psi(r)= \left\{ {\begin{array}{ll}<br /> <br /> 1+i & if A\\<br /> 1-i & if B\\<br /> 0 & if elsewhere\\<br /> <br /> \end{array}} \right[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution



I'm really not sure where to start with this :frown: I see that I have the wavefunction [itex]\psi[/itex] for each box (and elsewhere), but I'm not sure what to do as far as the calculations.. hopefully just need a bit of a hint to get me going with it.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, but I don't know how to use Latex, so please try to follow what I think:

|psi|² is the probability density, let's call it P1 for the first box, P2 for the second en P3 for the third.

P1=(1-2i)(1+2i)=5
P2=(1-i)(1+i)=2
P3=(1+i)(1-i)=P2=2

Because the probability is normalized, we have to divide by P1+P2+P3=9 to get p1, p2 and p3. This gives that the probability p2 to find it in the second box is 2/9.