1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probability of finding a particle in the ground state

1. Jun 1, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A particle is prepared in the state [tex]\psi (x) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{L}}[/tex] in a region [tex]0 < x < L[/tex] between two hard walls (particle in a box). Calculate the probability that the particle is found in the ground state when its energy is measured.

2. Relevant equations

This question is worth 10 marks, so I presume it's not as simple as squaring the wave function to find the probability. However I'm just not sure what else to do, a hint in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

3. The attempt at a solution

[tex]\left| \psi (x) \right|^{2} = \frac{1}{L}[/tex]

That's all I can think of doing. I've checked the given wave function is normalised, which it is.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 1, 2010 #2
    You need to use Fourier Series. You know the normalised solution to Schrodingers equation is root(2/L)sin(nPix/L)

Let the initial wave function be f(x)=1/root(L)

So f(x)=root(2/L)[sum of (c_n)sin(nPix/L)

So c_n=root(2/L)Integral 0 to L of f(x)sin(nPix/L) by Fourier methods

The probability of a particular state is the square of c_n if the wave function is normalised. I make your answer 8/(Pi)^2

Does that make sense?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook