Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What's the vector theta?

1. Jun 18, 2015 #1
    If the vector r is (x,y), so, what is the vector θ? BY THE WAY is (y,-x) ?

Last edited: Jun 18, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 18, 2015 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I have no idea what you mean by "the vector [itex]\theta[/itex]". Could you please explain that? Where did you see a reference to a "vector [itex]\theta[/itex]"?

4. Jun 18, 2015 #3

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The question "is (y,-x)?" doesn't make sense either.

5. Jun 18, 2015 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I didn't notice the "(y, -x)"! If a vector is given by r= (x, y) then its length is |r|= [itex]\sqrt{x^2+ y^2}[/itex] and the angle it makes with the x-axis, it that is what you mean by "[itex]\theta[/itex]", is given by [itex]arctan(y/x)[/itex] as long as x is not 0, [itex]\pi/2[/itex] if x= 0 and y is positive, [itex]3\pi/2[/itex] if x= 0 and y is negative.

Given a vector (x, y), the vector (y, -x) is the result of rotating (x, y) through an angle of [itex]pi/2[/itex] radians.

6. Jun 18, 2015 #5

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The angle ##\theta## depends on your frame of reference : the positive x-axis does not have to represent the angle ## 0 ## , it can represent anything as long as the choices are made consistently, i.e., the angle with the negative x-axis must be ##\pi ## larger than the choice on the positive x-axis, as is done, e.g., with branches of the Complex logarithm.

7. Jun 18, 2015 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Well, that depends on exactly what Bruno Tolentino means by "the vector [itex]\theta[/itex]". I asked that earlier and he still hasn't answered.

8. Jun 18, 2015 #7

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Another possible interpretation is that ##\theta(x,y)=(-y,x)## is a _vector field_ , assigning to each point/tangent space at ##(x,y)##, the
    vector ##(-y,x)##.

9. Jun 18, 2015 #8
    The ideia of vector θ come from following: if the vector dr is the tangent vector to parametric curve and the o vector dn is the normal vector:

333.png

And if the UNIT vector r^ is normal to UNIT vector θ^:

70d796839d040d2b0fa8bcfc6a21df62.png
    0087580bf7a31a2e9556f337f6f14145.png

So: the vector dn = dθ and therefore θ = (-y,x)!?

EDIT: but confront with the following: if θ = (-y,x), so θ = (- r sin(θ), r cos(θ)) = r (- sin(θ), cos(θ)) = r θ^

Is known that the vector r = r r^

But, is correct to affirm that: θ = r θ^?

The vector θ wouldn't: θ = θ θ^

Last edited: Jun 18, 2015
  10. Jun 19, 2015 #9

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In this context (polar coordinates), there's no standard definition of the notation θ. It's definitely non-standard to use that notation for the vector ##r\hat{\theta}##.

I think I see what you were thinking now: Since ##\hat{\mathbf r}## is a normalized version of ##\mathbf r##, it makes sense to ask if there's a vector that you can normalize to get ##\hat\theta##. There is, but it's not denoted by θ.

The vectors ##\hat{\mathbf r}## and ##\hat\theta## are defined as what you get when you normalize ##\frac{\partial\mathbf r}{\partial r}## and ##\frac{\partial\mathbf r}{\partial\theta}##.
    \begin{align*}
    &\mathbf r=(x,y)=(r\cos\theta,r\sin\theta)\\
    &\hat{\mathbf r}=\frac{\frac{\partial\mathbf r}{\partial r}}{\left|\frac{\partial\mathbf r}{\partial r}\right|} =\frac{(\cos\theta,\sin\theta)}{1} =\frac{\mathbf r}{r}=\frac{(x,y)}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2}}\\
    &\hat{\theta} =\frac{\frac{\partial\mathbf r}{\partial\theta}}{\left|\frac{\partial\mathbf r}{\partial\theta}\right|} =\frac{(-r\sin\theta,r\cos\theta)}{r} =\frac{(-y,x)}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2}}
    \end{align*}

Last edited: Jun 19, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook