Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What's this website about? ("nucleus layered view")

1. Jan 21, 2016 #1
    Hello, I happened to randomly come upon a website showing some interesting images of the nucleus of different atoms in a layered format I've never seen before [external link redacted]. In fact, when I googled "nucleus layered view", a term found on the website, it only had similar image references to this website. Just curious what this is about if anyone knows.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 21, 2016 #2

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

Hard to tell if this is pseudoscience or just silly, as other information on the site appears correct. But the nucleus does not have such a "layered structure."

I've redacted to link in the OP as this is not useful to learn about nuclear physics.

4. Jan 21, 2016 #3
    Thank you, having looked a bit more, it looks like some type of game where you build atomic nuclei...fun!

5. Jan 21, 2016 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Perhaps it refers to the shell model? As in "shell" being treated as a "layer"?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook