Book about center of mass frame of reference and fictitious force

In summary, the conversation covers various topics in physics including conservation of momentum and energy, Newton's laws, center of mass, and fictitious forces. The concept of working in a center-of-mass frame of reference is discussed and it is advised to avoid using non-inertial frames of reference unless necessary. There are no books specifically dedicated to center-of-mass frames, but it is often brought up as a refinement in other physics books. A question about the movement of a helium balloon in a car making a left turn is posed, but the answer is not given.
songoku
Hello

I have learned about conservation of momentum, Newton's law (1st, 2nd, 3rd law + free body diagram), conservation of energy and finding center of mass of several 2 D and 3 D shapes (non - calculus method).

I watched youtube video about two objects connected by horizontal spring and in the content there is short content about position and acceleration of center of mass. I googled a bit and found out about center of mass frame of reference. Are there any physics book explain about center of mass frame of reference? I read through some websites but not finding complete explanation and how to apply the method to solve multiple type of questions.

And are there also any books about fictitious force? Never been taught about this, only read through websites but I still not understanding completely the significance of considering this force in free body diagram and applying to solve questions.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

Try to stay away from non-inertial frames of reference as much as posssible is my advice. That doesn't mean indefinitely, but if you can avoid it, do so.
Sometimes it is unavoidable (e.g. to understand coriolis forces at the surface of the rotating earth) and by the time they pop up you'd better be fluent in mechanics :smile:

In a free body diagram considering to work in the center-of mass frame is beneficial under circumstances, (e.g. no friction on a surface, free fall, and others). Often the center-of-mass frame can be considered inertial (namely when ?) and then there is no objection.

I don't know of any books that deal with such frames of reference as the main dish. Mostly it's brought in as a refinement, or under aforementioned circumstances. Which I think is better.

Nice one: which way does a helium balloon in a car move when the car makes a left turn ?

BvU said:
Hi,

Try to stay away from non-inertial frames of reference as much as posssible is my advice. That doesn't mean indefinitely, but if you can avoid it, do so.
Sometimes it is unavoidable (e.g. to understand coriolis forces at the surface of the rotating earth) and by the time they pop up you'd better be fluent in mechanics :smile:

In a free body diagram considering to work in the center-of mass frame is beneficial under circumstances, (e.g. no friction on a surface, free fall, and others). Often the center-of-mass frame can be considered inertial (namely when ?) and then there is no objection.

I don't know of any books that deal with such frames of reference as the main dish. Mostly it's brought in as a refinement, or under aforementioned circumstances. Which I think is better.

Nice one: which way does a helium balloon in a car move when the car makes a left turn ?
When a car makes a left turn, the air inside the car moves to the right. Helium is less dense than air so the balloon will move to right...Nah actually I do not know o:) I am just guessing. You asking this question probably means the answer will not be ordinary answer 😅

1. What is the center of mass frame of reference?

The center of mass frame of reference is a coordinate system in which the center of mass of a system is at rest. This means that the net force acting on the system is zero and there is no acceleration. It is a useful reference point for analyzing the motion of objects.

2. How is the center of mass frame of reference different from other frames of reference?

The center of mass frame of reference is unique because it is the only frame of reference in which the center of mass of a system is at rest. In other frames of reference, the center of mass may have a non-zero velocity and the system may experience a net force and acceleration.

3. What is a fictitious force?

A fictitious force, also known as an inertial force, is a force that appears to act on an object in a non-inertial frame of reference. It is not a real force, but rather an apparent force that arises due to the acceleration of the frame of reference.

4. How is the concept of fictitious force related to the center of mass frame of reference?

In the center of mass frame of reference, the net force on a system is zero, so there are no fictitious forces present. However, in other frames of reference where the center of mass is not at rest, fictitious forces may appear to act on objects in order to account for the observed motion.

5. Why is it important to understand the center of mass frame of reference and fictitious forces?

Understanding the center of mass frame of reference and fictitious forces is crucial for accurately analyzing the motion of objects. It allows scientists to account for the effects of acceleration and non-inertial frames of reference, and is essential in fields such as mechanics, physics, and engineering.