1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What's with all these Halliday/Resnick books?

1. Aug 1, 2008 #1
    Seriously, how come there's a ton different books by Halliday or Resnick?

I've heard of:
    Physics, by Resnick
    Physics, by Halliday
    Physics, by Resnick and Halliday
    Physics, by Resnick, Halliday, and Krane
    Fundamentals of Physics, by Halliday and Resnick
    Fundamentals of Physics, by Halliday, Resnick, and Walker

Are they different editions/versions of the same book? I have the 7th edition of the last book.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 1, 2008 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There's also the new versions split into parts with each volume just containing a few chapters.
    It seems to be a feature of US universities to require a particular book for a course and for the publishers to change editions each year ( with different problems and page numbering) to force you to buy the new edition.
    One friend lectures a course where they even have to buy an electronic remote control device to answer multiple choice questions for a particular book!

4. Aug 1, 2008 #3
    Earlier editions of Physics were written by just David Halliday and Robert Resnick, but later editions had the additional authors and (I believe by the sixth edition) the new name of Fundamentals of Physics. Some say that specific editions of the book are better than the others, but I don't believe that any of them are really bad compared to other texts.

5. Aug 2, 2008 #4

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

First, there was Physics, by Halliday and Resnick, which first appeared in the 1960s, I think. It was too "heavy" for many schools, so H & R later produced a slimmed-down version, Fundamentals of Physics. I used it when I was a college freshman in 1971-72. I don't remember whether it was the first or second edition. It had an orange cover so we called it the "pumpkin book."

At some point (1990s?) Krane came on board for Physics, and Walker came on board for Fundamentals of Physics.

6. Aug 2, 2008 #5
    Simply put, they get dumbed down a little by each edition, get more colorful, and include new authors. All are great books. Its just not very economic to get the latest edition when you can save a hundred or so getting an older one. And its easier on the eyes.

There are also enhanced editions and "modern topics" editions, even ones split into volumes which include new problems. All a marketing scheme I guess.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?