What's wrong with my algebra here? (dealing with determinants)

In summary: Oh ok, thanks a lot :DIn summary, the conversation is discussing the calculation of the determinant of the expression -2(A^2)^T x C^2 x B^-1 (C^-1)^2, where A, B, and C are 3x3 invertible matrices with known determinants. The conversation includes a mistake in applying the properties of determinants, specifically the det(AB)=det(A)det(B) and det(cA)=cnA rules. The correct solution is to first apply the det(A^T)=det(A) rule, then cancel out C^-2 and C^2, and finally use the det(cA)=cnA rule to find the determinant of -2(A^2
iamsmooth
Let A, B and C be 3x3 invertible matrices where det(A)=−4 ,det(B)=−2 and det(C) is some non-zero scalar. Find:

det[−2(A^2)^T x C^2 x B^−1 (C^−1)^2]

So (A^2)^T is just A^2 since the transpose's det is the same.
(C^-1)^2 = C^-2
C^-2 * C^2 = 1 (so just canceled it out)
Inverse of B = 1/-2 = -1/2
So we have det[-2(A^2) x B^-1

I then sub in -2(-4^2) x -1/2 = -2(16)/-2

Which evaluates to 16, however this answer is wrong :(

Don't know what I did wrong. Can anyone spot a mistake?

Physics news on Phys.org
I didn't read the whole thing, but you appear to have used det(XY)=det X det Y incorrectly (or rather not at all), in at least one spot.

Your work is very sloppy, because you freely ignore determinant notation while canceling matrices and saying things like AT=A (things which you can't say about matrices, but you can say about their determinants)

But for all that, as far as I can tell it looks like you did the right thing up until here:
So we have det[-2(A^2) x B^-1]

You essentially re-write this as -2det(A2B-1) which isn't true

Ok, I'll keep trying. Thanks for the help so far :D

I still can't figure this out. Is this because of the order I'm doing the math? Is my bedmas wrong? >.> What's wrong with my last steps?

Sorry for the trouble and thanks for the help :D

Is this what you're trying to find? det[−2(A²)TC²B-1C-2]

Perhaps writing it out more organized and neat will make it easier to get help.
Use facts about determinants for your problem:

det(AB)=det(A)det(B)
det(A)=det(AT)
det(A-1)=1/det(A)
det(cA)=cnA, where n is the size of the matrix

It looks like you've used these in your solution but it's hard to tell since it's so sloppy and poorly written.

You've reduced it to det[−2(A²)B-1], so apply the first and last properties

I was actually wrong about the mistake I thought you made. (It's possible you made that mistake somewhere else, but you didn't make it where I thought you did). I read your post too quickly and I think the sloppy notation contributed to my misunderstanding. Still, you can't go wrong if you just apply the rules that VeeEight wrote down for you.

Oh man thanks a lot, that makes sense now. I forgot to apply the det(cA) = c^n.A rule, since our prof only vaguely mentioned it in one example.

Anyways, for future reference, is there an easy way to do the actual ascii math symbols that you did?

i.e. det[−2(A²)TC²B-1C-2]

That looks like it'd help a lot when I'm describing my problems, so it's not just messy looking. And yeah, sorry for my sloppy notation, I'll try and do better next time. Appreciate all the help :D

You can write A2 as A[*sup]2[*/sup] without the *'s. A better choice is to learn Latex so you can write it as [itex]A^2[/itex] (this is superior when you have long expression to write, but using sup tags - and sub tags for subscripts, is a good start)

1. What is a determinant in algebra?

A determinant in algebra is a mathematical value that can be calculated from a square matrix. It is usually denoted by two vertical lines on either side of the matrix and is used to determine the properties of the matrix, such as whether it is invertible or singular.

2. How do I calculate the determinant of a matrix?

The determinant of a matrix can be calculated using the following steps:
1. For a 2x2 matrix, multiply the top left and bottom right elements and subtract the product of the top right and bottom left elements.
2. For a larger matrix, use the Laplace expansion method to reduce the matrix to a 2x2 matrix and then apply the above formula. Alternatively, you can use the cofactor expansion method or the rule of Sarrus for 3x3 matrices.
3. Once you have a 2x2 matrix, apply the formula from the first step to calculate the determinant.

3. Why is the determinant important in algebra?

The determinant is important in algebra because it provides valuable information about the properties of a matrix. It can be used to determine if a matrix has an inverse, to solve systems of equations, and to find the area or volume of shapes in geometry. Additionally, the determinant is used in many other areas of mathematics, including calculus and linear algebra.

4. Can the determinant of a matrix be negative?

Yes, the determinant of a matrix can be negative. It is important to note that the sign of the determinant does not have any significance on its own, but rather in relation to other determinants. For example, if the determinant of a matrix A is negative and the determinant of another matrix B is positive, it can be concluded that matrix A is a reflection of matrix B.

5. What does a determinant of zero mean?

A determinant of zero means that the matrix is singular, or non-invertible. This means that the matrix does not have a unique solution and cannot be inverted. Geometrically, it means that the matrix collapses to a lower dimension and does not have a unique area or volume. In terms of solving systems of equations, it means that there are either infinitely many solutions or no solutions at all.