1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What's wrong with my electric potential ?

1. Mar 23, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'm quite lost here.

The problem states:

A spherically symmetric electrostatic charge distribution produces an electric field that is directed radially out from the distribution center. At the distance r from this center the field has the strength:

[tex]\[E=\frac{Q}{4\pi {{\varepsilon }_{0}}{{R}^{2}}}\left( \frac{r}{R}-\frac{{{r}^{2}}}{{{R}^{2}}} \right),0<r<R\][/tex]

[tex]E=\frac{Q}{4\pi {{\varepsilon }_{0}}{{r}^{2}}},r>R[/tex]

The constant Q is a charge, the constant R is a length; both are positive.

Now, determine the electric potential V(r) anywhere in space, when the potential is set to 0 in the infinitely distant.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I first do the integral with the first E-field (0 < r < R), with the limits 0 to r. This gives me:

[tex]V=\frac{Q}{4\pi {{\varepsilon }_{0}}{{R}^{2}}}\int_{0}^{r}{\left( \frac{r}{R}-\frac{{{r}^{2}}}{{{R}^{2}}} \right)}\,dr=-\frac{Q{{r}^{2}}\left( 2r-3R \right)}{24\pi {{\varepsilon }_{0}}{{R}^{4}}}[/tex]

But since Q and R were positive, I assume that this result is positive as well, so instead we have:

[tex]V=\frac{Q{{r}^{2}}\left( 2r-3R \right)}{24\pi {{\varepsilon }_{0}}{{R}^{4}}}[/tex]

Then I take the integral of the other E-field, with the limits R to infinity and get:

[tex]V=\frac{Q}{4\pi {{\varepsilon }_{0}}}\int_{R}^{\infty }{\frac{1}{{{r}^{2}}}}\,dr=\frac{Q}{4\pi {{\varepsilon }_{0}}R}[/tex]

Adding these two integrals together I get:

[tex]V=\[\frac{Q\left( 2{{r}^{3}}-3R{{r}^{2}}+6{{R}^{3}} \right)}{24\pi {{\varepsilon }_{0}}{{R}^{4}}}\][/tex]

BUT, according to my book it should be:

[tex]V=\[\frac{Q\left( 2{{r}^{3}}-3R{{r}^{2}}+7{{R}^{3}} \right)}{24\pi {{\varepsilon }_{0}}{{R}^{4}}}\][/tex]

So, the difference being the 7 instead of 6. And I have no idea what to do to make up for that tiny difference. It's so close to each other that I can't imagine me being WAY off. So am I doing something wrong, or is it a mistake in the book ?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 23, 2010 #2
    This didn't make the result positive, because 2r-3R is negative inside the sphere.
  4. Mar 23, 2010 #3
    So I need to say 2r+3R instead, or...?
  5. Mar 23, 2010 #4

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That doesn't look quite right. Don't you mean [tex]V(b)-V(a)=-\int_a^b\textbf{E}\cdot d \textbf{r}[/tex] ?:wink:

Why are you integrating from [itex]r=0[/itex]? Do you know what the potential is at [itex]r=0[/itex]? If npt, then it isn't much use to you as a reference point.

[tex]V(r)-V(0)=-\frac{Q}{4\pi {{\varepsilon }_{0}}{{R}^{2}}}\int_{0}^{r}{\left( \frac{r}{R}-\frac{{{r}^{2}}}{{{R}^{2}}} \right)}\,dr=\frac{Q{{r}^{2}}\left( 2r-3R \right)}{24\pi {{\varepsilon }_{0}}{{R}^{4}}}[/tex]

Instead, try integrating from infinity since you are told that [itex]V(r=\infty)=0[/itex]
  6. Mar 23, 2010 #5
    The integral in the sphere should have been from r to R and not from 0 to R.
  7. Mar 24, 2010 #6
    Well, the true form is:

[tex]\[{{V}_{a}}-{{V}_{b}}=\int_{a}^{b}{E}\cdot dl\][/tex]

But I just thought that since:

[tex]{{V}_{b}}=V\left( r=\infty \right)=0[/tex]
    I would just remove Vb.

But I'm still confused. For r >= R I get:

[tex]V\left( r\ge R \right)=\int_{r}^{\infty }{\frac{Q}{4\pi {{\varepsilon }_{0}}{{r}^{2}}}dr=}0-\left( \frac{-Q}{4\pi {{\varepsilon }_{0}}r} \right)=\frac{Q}{4\pi {{\varepsilon }_{0}}r}[/tex]

So that should be okay.

But if I do the integral you say, which is for r < R, I get:

[tex]\[V\left( r<R \right)=\int_{r}^{R}{\frac{Q}{4\pi {{\varepsilon }_{0}}{{R}^{2}}}\left( \frac{r}{R}-\frac{{{r}^{2}}}{{{R}^{3}}} \right)dr=}-\frac{Q{{R}^{2}}\left( 2R-3R \right)}{24\pi {{\varepsilon }_{0}}{{R}^{4}}}-\left( -\frac{Q{{r}^{2}}\left( 2r-3R \right)}{24\pi {{\varepsilon }_{0}}{{R}^{4}}} \right)=\frac{Q\left( 2{{r}^{3}}-3{{r}^{2}}R+{{R}^{3}} \right)}{24\pi {{\varepsilon }_{0}}{{R}^{4}}}\][/tex]

So now I don't even have 6 anymore - but still need 7 though.
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2010
  8. Mar 24, 2010 #7

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

When r<R, you still have to integrate from [itex]r=\infty[/itex].
  9. Mar 24, 2010 #8
    But wont infinity, in that particular integral, just give me the result: Infinity ?
    Even though it's from or to infinity...

I mean, the indefinite integral is:

[tex]\[V=\int{\frac{Q}{4\pi {{\varepsilon }_{0}}{{R}^{2}}}\left( \frac{r}{R}-\frac{{{r}^{2}}}{{{R}^{3}}} \right)dr=}-\frac{Q{{r}^{2}}\left( 2r-3R \right)}{24\pi {{\varepsilon }_{0}}{{R}^{4}}}\][/tex]

So putting infinity on r's place, in any case, would just result in infinity.
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2010
  10. Mar 24, 2010 #9

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No, by definition,

[tex]V(r)-V(\infty)=-\int_{\infty}^r\textbf{E}\cdot d\textbf{r}[/tex]

If [itex]r<R[/itex], you will want to break the integral into two segments

[tex]\int_{\infty}^r\textbf{E}\cdot d\textbf{r}=\int_{\infty}^R\textbf{E}\cdot d\textbf{r}+\int_{R}^r\textbf{E}\cdot d\textbf{r}[/tex]

The first integral is entirely outside the sphere, so you would use [tex]E_{\text{outside}}[/tex]
  11. Mar 24, 2010 #10
    Hmmm, I get the correct result now.
    But I really don't understand why it is that way tbh.

According to my book, the potential is:

\[{{V}_{a}}-{{V}_{b}}=\int_{a}^{b}{E}\cdot dl\]
    where V(b) should be 0, since r=b=infinity.

But somehow, you rearrange it, so you get minus the integral, but the same on the left side, where I would think you would have to change V(a) to -V(a) and -V(b) to V(b).

And the integrals seems like you are going from outside the sphere to the inside of the sphere, instead of the other way around. I can't see why that is the case, besides that giving me the correct answer :)
  12. Mar 25, 2010 #11

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Are you sure about that? What textbook are you using and what page is this formula on?
  13. Mar 25, 2010 #12
    Young & Freedman - University Physics, page 789.
  14. Mar 25, 2010 #13

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Oh, there's nothing wrong with that equation (I misread it when I first looked at your post).

[tex]V_a-V_b=\int_a^b \textbf{E}\cdot d\textbf{l} \implies V_b-V_a=-\int_a^b \textbf{E}\cdot d\textbf{l}[/tex]

You can either choose [itex]b=\infty[/itex] and [itex]a=r[/itex] or vice versa. Either way will lead you to the exact same thing since

[tex]\int_{r}^\infty \textbf{E}\cdot d\textbf{l}=-\int_{\infty}^r \textbf{E}\cdot d\textbf{l}[/tex]
  15. Mar 25, 2010 #14
    Ok, now I'm with :)
    Thank you.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook