What's wrong with my solution? -- Area moment of inertia

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
4 replies · 2K views
mobsaleh
Messages
3
Reaction score
1
Homework Statement
Area moment of inertia is to be calculated for a composite shape
Relevant Equations
For rectangle: Ix = bh^3/3. For a semi-circle Ix = pi/8*a^4
I used the parallel axis theorem to solve the question but my answer is still wrong. Any ideas where I slipped? I can't seem to figure out the problem?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry I'm new here. I didn't know how to attach earlier in my original question
 
Attachments
  • 20220215_190815.jpg
    20220215_190815.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 191
  • 20220215_190827.jpg
    20220215_190827.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 152
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    52.6 KB · Views: 181
  • 1..JPG
    1..JPG
    47.8 KB · Views: 175
It seems to me that you only need to add three moments of inertia; no need to subtract anything. You have expressions for all the colored shapes that make up the object. For the green and red areas you need to use the parallel axis theorem but not for the blue area. Other than that, you need to make sure that all the input numbers are correct. I would use a spreadsheet instead of a calculator for this.
Inertia.png
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Delta2 and Lnewqban