What's wrong with this picture?

• Thread starter phinds
  • Start date
In summary, Evo and I think the background color for the unanswered posts should be changed to a more distinct color.
phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
Image1.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know, what is wrong with it?

Have a look at the background. We used to have a shaded background that flagged unanswered threads. I want it back by gum !

As the unanswered threads are shaded I'm guessing I'm still missing something...

? What color shading are you seeing? Maybe I'm losing some color perception.

:wideeyed: Yellow/peach! Do you not see that? Do they all look the same to you?? Please tell me this isn't another "what colour's the dress" incident.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
No, Ryan, it looks salmon to me o0)

#FFF4E5 as background color, while the threads with replies have #FDFDFD

mfb said:
love it :approve:

mfb said:
I agree w/ that ... it's what PaintShop shows. This is what it looks like on my screen:

Image3.jpg

I take it you guys see something in the left box (FFF4E5) vs the right box (FDFDFD)?

I'm seeing pure white in both (MAYBE a tiny bit off-white in the left box).

Couldn't we up the contrast a bit?

Thanks.

Hm ... I'm seeing the difference just slightly now (I see a faint pinkish tint). Clearly something's happening with my eyes, but still, the contrast must be fairly small even for those of you who aren't blind as I apparently am, yes?

It's barely noticeable. At first I didn't even notice until attention was called to it.

Evo said:
It's barely noticeable. At first I didn't even notice until attention was called to it.
So you're seeing the same very low contrast that I'm now seeing? Let's lobby Greg to make the contrast a little higher.

Thanks, Evo.

Strange, it's clear as day for me.

Likes davenn
phinds said:
So you're seeing the same very low contrast that I'm now seeing? Let's lobby Greg to make the contrast a little higher.

Thanks, Evo.
Yeah, it's not really noticeable. Greg, make it more distinct! Pwease.

Ryan_m_b said:
Strange, it's clear as day for me.
That's amazing considering that you are wearing sunglasses. Wait, maybe it's polarized somehow and THAT'S how you see it so clearly.

I'm probably older than all you guys and it looks fine to me. You need new monitors. Just sayin'

I have no trouble seeing it. And I think the dress is gold.

Likes collinsmark
Weird - this change made the unanswered threads show up for the first time on my ancient iPad.

Nugatory said:
Weird - this change made the unanswered threads show up for the first time on my ancient iPad.
What change? Do you mean from before PF 4.0 ? I think it's been the same since 4.0 started.

@Greg Bernhardt , please heed the pleas of Evo and myself if only because we are two of the nicest and sweetest people on PF. Oh, wait ... the nice and sweet is just Evo. But still ...

phinds said:
What change? Do you mean from before PF 4.0 ? I think it's been the same since 4.0 started.

Even weirder - the unanswered-post background color that I saw on my iPad changed a few days back (and I'm not using the app, I'm using the native safari) I was going to send Greg a thank-you.

Does PF use different stylesheets for different client devices/browsers?

While it is subtle taken without context, in my opinion, it is quite sufficiently distinct when seen in the bulk of multiple rows. The point of a highlight such as this is that it should not be so glaring as to distract from the many other visual cues on a given page for other purposes.

Just IMHO.

BTW, if you are not looking at your screen at the optimal angle, these subtle diffs can all but disappear. Try adjusting your eye-to-screen angle and see if that improves things.

DaveC426913 said:
BTW, if you are not looking at your screen at the optimal angle, these subtle diffs can all but disappear. Try adjusting your eye-to-screen angle and see if that improves things.
Interesting. Looks like I get the least contrast by looking straight on. Off center both the unanswered and the pined backgrounds get much darker. Dell monitor.

dlgoff said:
Interesting. Looks like I get the least contrast by looking straight on. Off center both the unanswered and the pined backgrounds get much darker. Dell monitor.
For me, on a Dell laptop, if I look obliquely up at it, it is a darker peach/coral. If I look obliquely down at it, it is cyan! (complementary)

Likes dlgoff
DaveC426913 said:
Interesting. You are quite right Dave. If I tilt my screen at a big angle away from straight on I see MUCH more contrast.

But I still think the contrast should be changed.

DaveC426913 said:
While it is subtle taken without context, in my opinion, it is quite sufficiently distinct when seen in the bulk of multiple rows. The point of a highlight such as this is that it should not be so glaring as to distract from the many other visual cues on a given page for other purposes.
Oh, I wanted to suggest bright red and blinking.

phinds: did you play around with the colors to see what would be visible on your monitor?

mfb said:
Oh, I wanted to suggest bright red and blinking.

phinds: did you play around with the colors to see what would be visible on your monitor?
Well, I found that by tilting my monitor WAY away from me, I see the contrast clearly. To get a contrast that I can see when the monitor is straight on will probably be more contrast for most folks than Greg wants to do.

The peach (or whatever) vs. white in the posted image is very clear to me, and I definitely ain't no spring chicken.

Ditto. Squawk!

When I saw the original complaint, I was puzzled, and wondered if Greg had changed the color to increase the contrast after it was posted.

I just saw this thread now. I am really surprised by this discussion. The color difference and contrast to me is clear as day. I would highly suggest looking at your monitor settings http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/calibrate-your-display

Question, do you have trouble seeing the difference between the sticky background and normal threads? What about quote box colors in posts or the separation of posts in a thread? All those elements are a much softer difference. But the unanswered thread listing background is a light orange and the normal threads a slight off white.

phinds said:
Well, I found that by tilting my monitor WAY away from me, I see the contrast clearly. To get a contrast that I can see when the monitor is straight on will probably be more contrast for most folks than Greg wants to do.
Is it possible that part of your screen backlight is missing?

Change the background to f0f0f0.
Is there a difference between it and right box?

My vision is with Dave's, not from sides, only from very far up.
The right box is also different, very weak blue and red something.
Between tilt and straight direction there is also an angle, very clear one, where both boxes fade away.

m k said:
Is it possible that part of your screen backlight is missing?

Change the background to f0f0f0.
Is there a difference between it and right box?

My vision is with Dave's, not from sides, only from very far up.
The right box is also different, very weak blue and red something.
Between tilt and straight direction there is also an angle, very clear one, where both boxes fade away.
No, the screen is beautifully colorful but the very subtle shades don't show up well straight on.

Anyone calibrate their monitors lately? If we all did, at least we'd take one variable out of the discussion.

1. What exactly is wrong with this picture?

This is a broad question and the answer will vary depending on the specific picture in question. It could be a technical issue such as poor lighting or composition, or it could be a more subjective issue such as the message or meaning of the picture.

2. How do I know if there is something wrong with a picture?

There are certain elements that can make a picture appear "off" or unappealing, such as blurry or distorted images, improper color balance, or distracting background elements. However, ultimately the perception of what is "wrong" with a picture is subjective and can vary from person to person.

3. Can a picture be objectively wrong?

In some cases, yes. For example, if a picture is meant to convey a certain message or information, but it is completely unrelated or misleading, then it can be considered objectively wrong. However, in most cases, the perception of a picture being "wrong" is subjective and based on personal preferences.

4. How can I improve a picture that seems wrong?

There are several ways to improve a picture, depending on what is "wrong" with it. Some common techniques include adjusting the lighting, composition, or editing the image to enhance its colors or clarity. It can also be helpful to get feedback from others and consider their suggestions for improvement.

5. Is there a right or wrong way to take a picture?

There are certain technical guidelines and principles that can help improve the overall quality of a picture, such as proper lighting and composition. However, when it comes to the content or message of a picture, there is no right or wrong way. It is ultimately up to the photographer's creative vision and personal style.