Confusion about posting pictures

• Thread starter anorlunda
  • Start date
In summary, when using Chrome on Windows 10, the copy/paste and upload methods work in draft/preview/posted modes, but are cumbersome. The best method is to use the "Upload" button and click on the FULL IMAGE button to put the image in the message body.
anorlunda
Staff Emeritus
Insights Author
Greg,

I need a little help please. (I'm using Chrome on WIndows 10)

When I want to post a picture from my own PC, I get confused by multiple methods and inconsistent results.

1) I can use copy/paste, that shows the image when drafting the message, but when viewed in preview it is replaced with "View attachment xxxxxx", and after posting, it is replaced with a box with X in it. That's causes anxiety when the appearance when posted is not WYSIWYG with the appearance of the post in draft.

2) I can use the "Upload" button. That seems to give the same result as copy/paste.3) I can upload the picture to the PF media library, then copy the URL, then click on the picture icon in the draft toolbar, then paste the URL in as the URL for the picture. That seems to work in draft/preview/posted modes, but it is very cumbersome.

I note that there is a size limit on uploads. Might the image size effect the outcome?

A bit of explanation and a recommendation for the best method would be appreciated.

slask.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
No idea about the internal, technical details, but I use the Upload approach - and after upload I click on the FULL IMAGE button to put the image in the message body. Yes, the image is hidden from the preview, but is OK when the post goes live.

I am not sure if the copy/paste uploads the image to the server, perhaps they are visible only locally.

avr9NqO_700b.jpg

russ_watters said:
I don't understand: why isn't the second one Samuel R Jackson?
Because of ancient Romans.

(L stands for levorotatory and D stands for dextrorotatory. Note: that the D-/L- nomenclature system used in biochemistry doesn't actually classify molecules based on the direction they rotate plane polarized light as the names would suggest.)

Likes Fervent Freyja
Ygggdrasil said:
Because of ancient Romans.

(L stands for levorotatory and D stands for dextrorotatory. Note: that the D-/L- nomenclature system used in biochemistry doesn't actually classify molecules based on the direction they rotate plane polarized light as the names would suggest.)
[sigh] You know, I was really trying to avoid learning tonight. :frown:

Likes Greg Bernhardt and Ygggdrasil
russ_watters said:
[sigh] You know, I was really trying to avoid learning tonight. :frown:
And there you are, having learned not one, but two things: the above, plus the important fact that

asking a question leads to learning !​

o0)

1. What is the proper way to post pictures?

The proper way to post pictures can vary depending on the platform or website you are using. Generally, you will need to click on the "upload" or "add" button and select the picture from your computer or phone. Some platforms may have specific guidelines for image sizes or formats, so it is important to check before posting.

2. Why are my pictures not showing up after I post them?

There could be several reasons for this issue. First, make sure that the pictures are actually uploaded and not just added to a draft or saved as a draft. Second, check the size and format of the pictures to make sure they are compatible with the platform or website. Finally, it is possible that there may be a technical glitch or error on the platform, so you may need to reach out to their customer support for assistance.

3. Can I use any picture I find on the internet for my posts?

No, it is important to respect copyright laws and only use pictures that you have the rights to or that are labeled for reuse. Using someone else's pictures without their permission can result in legal consequences. It is best to either take your own pictures or use websites that offer free, royalty-free images for commercial use.

4. How do I make sure my pictures are high quality when posting?

To ensure high-quality pictures, make sure to use a good camera or phone with a high-resolution setting. When editing the pictures, avoid compressing or reducing the size too much, as this can decrease the quality. You can also use photo editing software to enhance the colors and sharpness of the image before posting.

5. Is it safe to post pictures online?

While there is always a risk with sharing information online, there are steps you can take to ensure your pictures are safe. Avoid posting personal information or location details in your pictures. You can also use privacy settings on social media platforms to control who can see your posts. Additionally, make sure to only share pictures that you are comfortable with others seeing and potentially sharing.