What's your comment on the debate between Bush and Kerry?
- Topic: News
- Thread starter Saint
- Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
171 replies · 15K views
Physics news on Phys.org
graphic7
Gold Member
- 450
- 2
News flash: Bush cannot speak English - wife can, though.
motai
- 364
- 2
I have never heard Kerry and Bush agree and complement each other as much as I just have. Its almost like that old latin phrase Assinum assinus fricatus.
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 7,213
- 26
Bill Hemmer (CNN) in Columbus, OH gauging reactions from 24 undecideds.
After debate : 10 pick K, 7 pick B, 7 still undecided.
After debate : 10 pick K, 7 pick B, 7 still undecided.
kawikdx225
- 83
- 0
Gokul43201 said:Bill Hemmer (CNN) in Columbus, OH gauging reactions from 24 undecideds.
After debate : 10 pick K, 7 pick B, 7 still undecided.
What are those last seven waiting for, another debate?
Saint
- 438
- 0
kerry won ?
GENIERE
No. Kerry lost!
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 7,213
- 26
Kerry lost ?
I can't see how.
Bush simply avoided questions like the Minimum wage and outsourcing of jobs. He simply refused to answer them. And his response to the homosexuality question was a joke. He denied ever saying he was not interested in bin Laden, and that's not true. I quote : "And, again, I don't know where he is. I -- I'll repeat what I said. I truly am not that concerned about him. " He blatantly twisted Kerry's words on Terrorism, in the Times. Kerry said terrorism should be reduced to the state where it is no more than a nuisance. Bush said that Kerry was calling terrorism a nuisance.
On the other hand, Kerry mentioning Cheney's daughter was totally uncalled for (unlike the case with Edwards, where the remark was perfectly fine.)
In my opinion, Bush simply went out there and refused to answer the moderator's questions...kinda like the way he didn't answer questions at the second debate, but just more blatantly this time.
I can't see how.
Bush simply avoided questions like the Minimum wage and outsourcing of jobs. He simply refused to answer them. And his response to the homosexuality question was a joke. He denied ever saying he was not interested in bin Laden, and that's not true. I quote : "And, again, I don't know where he is. I -- I'll repeat what I said. I truly am not that concerned about him. " He blatantly twisted Kerry's words on Terrorism, in the Times. Kerry said terrorism should be reduced to the state where it is no more than a nuisance. Bush said that Kerry was calling terrorism a nuisance.
On the other hand, Kerry mentioning Cheney's daughter was totally uncalled for (unlike the case with Edwards, where the remark was perfectly fine.)
In my opinion, Bush simply went out there and refused to answer the moderator's questions...kinda like the way he didn't answer questions at the second debate, but just more blatantly this time.
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 7,213
- 26
According to instant polls taken by television networks : (these are not internet polls)
Fifty-two per cent of those polled by CNN said Kerry won the debate in Tempe, Arizona, while 39 per cent said Bush won.
The poll had a five percentage-point margin of error.
A poll by ABC found 42 per cent thought Kerry had won, versus 41 per cent who gave the victory to Bush.
Fourteen per cent called it a tie in the poll, which had a 4.5 percentage point margin of error.
In CBS's poll of uncommitted voters, 39 per cent said Kerry won, 25 per cent Bush and 36 per cent called it a tie. The margin of error was seven percentage points.
Fifty-two per cent of those polled by CNN said Kerry won the debate in Tempe, Arizona, while 39 per cent said Bush won.
The poll had a five percentage-point margin of error.
A poll by ABC found 42 per cent thought Kerry had won, versus 41 per cent who gave the victory to Bush.
Fourteen per cent called it a tie in the poll, which had a 4.5 percentage point margin of error.
In CBS's poll of uncommitted voters, 39 per cent said Kerry won, 25 per cent Bush and 36 per cent called it a tie. The margin of error was seven percentage points.
Mercator
And the Earth is flat! And Socialists are communists, except when their name is Blair, in which case they are allies.GENIERE said:No. Kerry lost!
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 8,252
- 2,666
Kerry took this one. I think this may really hurt Bush. He had some pretty bad moments.
So much for Kerry the flip-flop; just say Bin Laden.
...not only caught flip-flopping on the war on terror, but then to get caught lying - and like a deer in the headlights.
So much for Kerry the flip-flop; just say Bin Laden.
...not only caught flip-flopping on the war on terror, but then to get caught lying - and like a deer in the headlights.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
- 24,114
- 3,277
Kerry definitely won.
It got to the point that I couldn't even look at Bush, those beadly little eyes squinting up even more when Kerry would talk...
It got to the point that I couldn't even look at Bush, those beadly little eyes squinting up even more when Kerry would talk...
Loren Booda
- 3,115
- 4
What is the correlation to an asymmetric face - something like criminality or stupidity? Bush's is so screwed up that tonight he looked like a Cubist painting.
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 8,252
- 2,666
Evo said:Kerry definitely won.
It got to the point that I couldn't even look at Bush, those beadly little eyes squinting up
I hit that point about five years ago. I have never been able to fathom how this man ever got elected. It truly baffles me. I realize that the evangelical right is going to support him, but why anyone else does...?

Having awoke up to the news of his election in a hotel room somewhere in the South, I honestly thought I was having a waking nightmare. It tooks a good thirty seconds before I realized that I wasn't dreaming the news.
Last edited:
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 7,213
- 26
Ivan Seeking said:...not only caught flip-flopping on the war on terror, but then to get caught lying - and like a deer in the headlights.
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 8,252
- 2,666
Gokul43201 said:Is that an original thought, or did you read my post ?
![]()
I saw your comments but I already had my own.
What more does a person need to see. I just don't get it.
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 11,959
- 54
One of my favorite lines from this one:
Said in reference to his wife, Laura. If Bush ends up winning, do you think we might convince him to let his wife run the country?Bush said:And she speaks English a lot better than I do.* I think people understand what she‘s saying.
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 11,959
- 54
Loren Booda said:What is the correlation to an asymmetric face - something like criminality or stupidity? Bush's is so screwed up that tonight he looked like a Cubist painting.
Oh, I couldn't resist looking that up
Shackelford, T. K., & Larsen, R. J. (1997). Facial asymmetry as an indi-
cator of psychological, emotional, and physiological distress. Jour-
nal of Personality and Social Psychology, 72, 456-466.
Fluctuating asymmetry (FA) is deviation from bilateral symmetry in morphological traits with asymmetry values that are normally distributed with a mean of 0. FA is produced by genetic or environmental perturbations of developmental design and may play a role in human sexual selection. K. grammar and R. Thornhill (1994)found that facial FA negatively covaries with observer ratings of attractiveness, dominance, sexiness, and health. Using self-reports, observer ratings, daily diary reports, and psychophysiological measures, the authors assessed the relationship between facial FA and health in 2 samples of undergraduates (N= 101). Results partially replicate and extend those of K. grammar and R. Thornhill (1994)and suggest that facial FA may signal psychological, emotional, and physiological distress. Discussion integrates the authors’ findings with previous research on FA and suggests future research needed to clarify the role of FA in human sexual selection.
I wonder what it means to have a face that looks like something Dali would have painted? You know, Kerry's droopy dog look.
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 7,213
- 26
Moonbear said:I wonder what it means to have a face that looks like something Dali would have painted? You know, Kerry's droopy dog look.
Ooh ! Wouldn't that be surreal ?
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 10,270
- 45
Bush almost let loose on a tirade about how the news networks paint him all wrong. God, I was on the edge of my seat, just desperately waiting for him to say something about the media portraying him unfairly. The media's reaction would have been a nail in the coffin, if you ask me. The media is an extremely unfriendly enemy.
But then, he laughed and said "nevermind," which I'm not sure is much better.
- Warren
But then, he laughed and said "nevermind," which I'm not sure is much better.
- Warren
Similar threads
- Economist
- · Replies 4 ·
- General Discussion
- Replies
- 4
- chroot
- · Replies 7 ·
- General Discussion
- Replies
- 7
- Moses
- · Replies 22 ·
- General Discussion
- Replies
- 22
- Gokul43201
- · Replies 14 ·
- General Discussion
- Replies
- 14