Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What’s your favorite fictional character?

1. Apr 6, 2016 #1

ProfuselyQuarky

Gold Member
    2016 Award

You’re favorite fictional character from anything (e.g. book, show, comic, etc.). This has probably been done before but, hey, why not? There are lots of new members (myself included). Who knows? Maybe there are a bunch of people who enjoy the same fandom as you do!

I like the Adventures of Tintin :smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 6, 2016 #2
    Hard to choose between Batman and Big Boss.

4. Apr 6, 2016 #3
    Hatsune Miku, the first crowdsourced pop star.

5. Apr 6, 2016 #4

ProfuselyQuarky

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Never got the taste for anime and manga, but everyone seems to be into it. Even aged adults :)

6. Apr 6, 2016 #5
    Walker #3761 from Season 2, episode 5 of The Walking Dead. Something about him just cracked me up.

7. Apr 6, 2016 #6
    Just kidding.

For real, I'd say Sherlock Holmes.

8. Apr 6, 2016 #7

ProfuselyQuarky

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Same!! Sherlock is awesome. His deduction is thrilling and I constantly enjoy references to his drug habit o0)

9. Apr 6, 2016 #8
    Dirk Pitt

10. Apr 6, 2016 #9
    You should try. It has many genres that are not simply for kids. For example, you can have romance and slice of life too, not just guys fighting and throwing glowing stuff at each other (which is more or less a stereotype in the way a lot of adults think of it). There is also comedy and whatnot. Just don't go for the English dubbed. IMO dubs are terrible (English or not), they sometimes even change what they are really saying for something completely different. Which is why sometimes when I buy DVDs I buy them directly from Japan. Original languages are best for everything :smile:. For example, if I watch a French movie I watch it in French, not in English.
    The romance that is combined with slice of life, I find it more amusing and entertaining than American romance movies. American romance movies are more or less predictable to me and that makes them boring (to me) and some are simply too obvious. But anime which has romance and slice of life hook me up to the screen because they behave in a way that is hard for me to predict which brings entertainment (to me).

Once in a movie there were no hints that two characters had feelings for each other. No hints at all. I thought they were just friends. And then in the end they kissed. Me reaction was: :)) :)) :)) :)) :)). Totally unexpected :confused:.
    My favorite character. Hmmmmmmmmm. That's hard, there are so many characters I like, each from a different story.

Gandalf is one of them. I can say Gandalf is one favorite although I have others as well from other stories.

11. Apr 7, 2016 #10
    I like McGonagal and Hermione from Harry Potter :) They are smart and disciplined, and will never let their friends/students down. They have reached the stage where they can tell when the rules are to be obeyed and when it is right to break them.
    I also like human dimension of Snape as explained in the last book.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2016
  12. Apr 7, 2016 #11

Samy_A

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Gimli from LOTR, Snape from Harry Potter, captain Haddock from Tintin, Pierre from War and Peace, and probably many more ...

13. Apr 7, 2016 #12
    Nathan Brazil.

14. Apr 7, 2016 #13

ProfuselyQuarky

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I have peeps at school who constantly keep saying the same thing about anime (they tell me the dubs are awful, too), but I always had the impression that it's gruesome and . . . other stuff that I can't say here :-p Everyone talks about "Your Lie in April". Heard of it/like it?

15. Apr 7, 2016 #14

ProfuselyQuarky

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Ten thousand blistering typhoons! Another Tintin fan! Haddock is great. Which do you like more: his desire to drink all day, his expressions, or his dislike for Castafiore?

Does this have anything to with your profile saying you're from Belgium? :wink:
    Nice! Is he fictional, though?

16. Apr 7, 2016 #15

Samy_A

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I like his expressions, but his relation with La Castafiore is my favourite.

17. Apr 7, 2016 #16
    As much as any other god.

18. Apr 7, 2016 #17
    Oh, and Glorfindel. Because Jeff Daniels played him in the movies.

(Seriously, though, it was the only time I was sorry to see Liv Tyler.)

19. Apr 7, 2016 #18
    I'm also a great Tintin fan! :smile: Great stories! I've kept all my Tintin albums from childhood. My favorites are: The Secret of the Unicorn/Red Rackham's Treasure & The Seven Crystal Balls/Prisoners of the Sun. Favorite character: tough too choose, there are many great characters in them, e.g. Haddock, Rastapopoulos, Professor Calculus...
    adventures-tintin-the-secret-of-the-unicorn-album.jpg

20. Apr 7, 2016 #19

ProfuselyQuarky

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Alright, yay! Nobody I know at school likes or even knows Tintin . . . . There should have been more shows, but to satisfy my enjoyment, I resort to making fanart :smile:

21. Apr 7, 2016 #20
    Yeah, the dubs make you cringe. They are simply unwatchable.

Yup, I've heard about it. It was a hit. I've never seen past the trailers and shorts, but I want to watch it. Main characters are a piano prodigy and a violinist.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted