What’s your favorite fictional character?

• Thread starter ProfuselyQuarky
  • Start date
In summary: George CostanzaHannibal LectorCaptain PicardHomer SimpsonBarney FifeLucy RicardoEd Norton and Ralph KramdenRick GrimesMichael ScottQuint (Jaws)Alice (Alice's Adventures in Wonderland)Travis McGee, Lazarus Long, Benedict of Amber, Kirth Gerson, Skua September, Spensor--yes I know this is more than one.Fred and/or George Weasley. I think being both of them would be impossible for a human, however. Worth a try...
ProfuselyQuarky
Gold Member
You’re favorite fictional character from anything (e.g. book, show, comic, etc.). This has probably been done before but, hey, why not? There are lots of new members (myself included). Who knows? Maybe there are a bunch of people who enjoy the same fandom as you do!

I like the Adventures of Tintin :smile:

Likes James Holland, Flyx, DennisN and 2 others
Physics news on Phys.org
Hard to choose between Batman and Big Boss.

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
Hatsune Miku, the first crowdsourced pop star.

Likes down to earth and ProfuselyQuarky
Hornbein said:
Hatsune Miku, the first crowdsourced pop star.
Never got the taste for anime and manga, but everyone seems to be into it. Even aged adults :)

Walker #3761 from Season 2, episode 5 of The Walking Dead. Something about him just cracked me up.

Likes Psinter
Just kidding.

For real, I'd say Sherlock Holmes.

Likes tobyr65 and ProfuselyQuarky
zoobyshoe said:
Just kidding.

For real, I'd say Sherlock Holmes.
Same! Sherlock is awesome. His deduction is thrilling and I constantly enjoy references to his drug habit o0)

Dirk Pitt

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
ProfuselyQuarky said:
Never got the taste for anime and manga, but everyone seems to be into it. Even aged adults :)
You should try. It has many genres that are not simply for kids. For example, you can have romance and slice of life too, not just guys fighting and throwing glowing stuff at each other (which is more or less a stereotype in the way a lot of adults think of it). There is also comedy and whatnot. Just don't go for the English dubbed. IMO dubs are terrible (English or not), they sometimes even change what they are really saying for something completely different. Which is why sometimes when I buy DVDs I buy them directly from Japan. Original languages are best for everything :smile:. For example, if I watch a French movie I watch it in French, not in English.
slice of life - a realistic representation of everyday experience in a movie, play, or book.
The romance that is combined with slice of life, I find it more amusing and entertaining than American romance movies. American romance movies are more or less predictable to me and that makes them boring (to me) and some are simply too obvious. But anime which has romance and slice of life hook me up to the screen because they behave in a way that is hard for me to predict which brings entertainment (to me).

Once in a movie there were no hints that two characters had feelings for each other. No hints at all. I thought they were just friends. And then in the end they kissed. Me reaction was: :)) :)) :)) :)) :)). Totally unexpected :confused:.
My favorite character. Hmmmmmmmmm. That's hard, there are so many characters I like, each from a different story.

Gandalf is one of them. I can say Gandalf is one favorite although I have others as well from other stories.

Likes ProfuselyQuarky and Sophia
I like McGonagal and Hermione from Harry Potter :) They are smart and disciplined, and will never let their friends/students down. They have reached the stage where they can tell when the rules are to be obeyed and when it is right to break them.
I also like human dimension of Snape as explained in the last book.

Last edited:
Likes ProfuselyQuarky
Gimli from LOTR, Snape from Harry Potter, captain Haddock from Tintin, Pierre from War and Peace, and probably many more ...

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
Nathan Brazil.

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
Psinter said:
You should try. It has many genres that are not simply for kids. For example, you can have romance and slice of life too, not just guys fighting and throwing glowing stuff at each other (which is more or less a stereotype in the way a lot of adults think of it). There is also comedy and whatnot. Just don't go for the English dubbed. IMO dubs are terrible (English or not), they sometimes even change what they are really saying for something completely different. Which is why sometimes when I buy DVDs I buy them directly from Japan. Original languages are best for everything :smile:. For example, if I watch a French movie I watch it in French, not in English.

The romance that is combined with slice of life, I find it more amusing and entertaining than American romance movies. American romance movies are more or less predictable to me and that makes them boring (to me) and some are simply too obvious. But anime which has romance and slice of life hook me up to the screen because they behave in a way that is hard for me to predict which brings entertainment (to me).

Once in a movie there were no hints that two characters had feelings for each other. No hints at all. I thought they were just friends. And then in the end they kissed. Me reaction was: :)) :)) :)) :)) :)). Totally unexpected :confused:.
My favorite character. Hmmmmmmmmm. That's hard, there are so many characters I like, each from a different story.

Gandalf is one of them. I can say Gandalf is one favorite although I have others as well from other stories.
I have peeps at school who constantly keep saying the same thing about anime (they tell me the dubs are awful, too), but I always had the impression that it's gruesome and . . . other stuff that I can't say here :-p Everyone talks about "Your Lie in April". Heard of it/like it?

Samy_A said:
captain Haddock from Tintin
Ten thousand blistering typhoons! Another Tintin fan! Haddock is great. Which do you like more: his desire to drink all day, his expressions, or his dislike for Castafiore?

Does this have anything to with your profile saying you're from Belgium? :wink:
Noisy Rhysling said:
Nathan Brazil.
Nice! Is he fictional, though?

Likes James Holland
ProfuselyQuarky said:
Ten thousand blistering typhoons! Another Tintin fan! Haddock is great. Which do you like more: his desire to drink all day, his expressions, or his dislike for Castafiore?
I like his expressions, but his relation with La Castafiore is my favourite.

Likes James Holland and ProfuselyQuarky
ProfuselyQuarky said:

Does this have anything to with your profile saying you're from Belgium? :wink:

Nice! Is he fictional, though?
As much as any other god.

Oh, and Glorfindel. Because Jeff Daniels played him in the movies.

(Seriously, though, it was the only time I was sorry to see Liv Tyler.)

ProfuselyQuarky said:
Ten thousand blistering typhoons! Another Tintin fan!
I'm also a great Tintin fan! :smile: Great stories! I've kept all my Tintin albums from childhood. My favorites are: The Secret of the Unicorn/Red Rackham's Treasure & The Seven Crystal Balls/Prisoners of the Sun. Favorite character: tough too choose, there are many great characters in them, e.g. Haddock, Rastapopoulos, Professor Calculus...
adventures-tintin-the-secret-of-the-unicorn-album.jpg

Alright, yay! Nobody I know at school likes or even knows Tintin . . . . There should have been more shows, but to satisfy my enjoyment, I resort to making fanart :smile:

Likes James Holland
ProfuselyQuarky said:
I have peeps at school who constantly keep saying the same thing about anime (they tell me the dubs are awful, too), but I always had the impression that it's gruesome and . . . other stuff that I can't say here :-p Everyone talks about "Your Lie in April". Heard of it/like it?
Yeah, the dubs make you cringe. They are simply unwatchable.

Yup, I've heard about it. It was a hit. I've never seen past the trailers and shorts, but I want to watch it. Main characters are a piano prodigy and a violinist.

Couldn't name just one, but here are a few of my all time favorites:

George Costanza
Hannibal Lector
Captain Picard
Homer Simpson
Barney Fife
Lucy Ricardo
Ed Norton and Ralph Kramden
Rick Grimes
Michael Scott
Quint (Jaws)
Alice (Alice's Adventures in Wonderland)

Likes 1oldman2
Travis McGee, Lazarus Long, Benedict of Amber, Kirth Gerson, Skua September, Spensor--yes I know this is more than one.

Fred and/or George Weasley. I think being both of them would be impossible for a human, however. Worth a try though.

tough between Obelix (from Astrix) and Tom Bombadil in Lotr

DennisN said:
I'm also a great Tintin fan! :smile: Great stories! I've kept all my Tintin albums from childhood. My favorites are: The Secret of the Unicorn/Red Rackham's Treasure & The Seven Crystal Balls/Prisoners of the Sun. Favorite character: tough too choose, there are many great characters in them, e.g. Haddock, Rastapopoulos, Professor Calculus...
adventures-tintin-the-secret-of-the-unicorn-album.jpg
Haddock is the best. The only one who comes close is snowy and then Thompson and Thompson

Max from Mad Max. Fast cars, beautiful women, lots of shooting, that is my dream world. Id be the best mad max there ever was.

Likes James Holland
I forgot another favorite of mine, Gaston, quote from http://scans-daily.dreamwidth.org/4880165.html:
page said:
Gaston has no shame in using office space and work hours to put together crazy inventions, practice weird hobbies, take care of his numerous annoying pets (cat, mouse, goldfish, hedgehog, seagull...wait, seagull?), flirt with the cute secretary Mademoiselle Jeanne, have a prank war with a local police officer, play his Gaffophone, a monstrous homemade musical instrument, and of course, just find 1001 creative ways to avoid doing his job.
dd8547edaf86bee756d7a5a90170d517.jpg

Some examples here: http://s36.photobucket.com/user/guitarman91/media/Guust2.jpg.html

Likes James Holland
My favorite fictional character is Batman

Likes James Holland
http://41.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lz0i4bNR571qbzk1xo1_250.jpg *EDIT* Oh I should add my avatar as well to this list

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes James Holland
cpscdave said:
*EDIT* Oh I should add my avatar as well to this list
What IS you avatar?

Likes James Holland
ProfuselyQuarky said:
What IS you avatar?

HERESY! How could you not know??
Well quite easily apparently :P

It's Vivi from Final Fantasy 9

Likes ProfuselyQuarky and James Holland
it bares a smal resemblance to a Jawa working as a private detective

Last edited:
Likes gjonesy
cpscdave said:
HERESY! How could you not know??
Well quite easily apparently :P

It's Vivi from Final Fantasy 9
Oh! Well, I'm no gamer . . .

Likes James Holland
Son Goku dbz

Likes ProfuselyQuarky and James Holland
PFFT FF9 isn't a game, its a story telling MASTERPIECE! And it just got rerelased on PC!