What's your favorite movie?

• Thread starter W3pcq
  • Start date
Since I predate Neanderthal Man, my choices are all quite old.

Drama: Casablanca, Paths of Glory

Comedy: Some Like It Hot, Arsenic and Old Lace

Musical: Singing in the Rain, Gigi

Pan's Labyrinth

"Citizen Kane," my fave of all time. Take it with a giant grain of salt, though, I don't watch movies very often.
I know lisab's post is a few years old, but this thread has been active recently, so I think its OK to quote it. "Citizen Kane" is widely considered to be the greatest movie of all time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citizen_Kane

Strange that while it did receive an award, it was not given the Academy Award for the best movie of 1941, the year it was released.

My personal favorite is "Dr.Zhivago".

Brokeback Mountain.......best acting i have ever scene. good job directing by Ang Lee. Great score by Gustavo Santaolalla. i cried my eyes out. Beautiful film.

Amadeus.....A pretty much amazing movie, good acting, good soundtrack, wonderful costuming and set design, good directing.

Candy........most realistic Junkie movie i have ever seen in my life. The acting is phenomenal. Some great camera shots(especially the opening and ending scenes) by Neil Armfield. They had a very talented cast and crew. Again i cried my eyes out.

DoggerDan
How the West was Won. I own only two Blu-rays, and that's one of them. The other is 2001, and while visually interesting, it's just not the same!

I remembered reading this thread back in my lurking days here, and now I'm going to awaken it from its slumber. I'll try to make it worth someone’s time, and try to hit multiple niches.

High Fidelity (John Cusack and it's about music)
Dawn Of The Dead 2004 remake. (Zombies)
Little Miss Sunshine (Adorable)
The Fifth Element (Fun)
Soylent Green (I just love the smell of dystopia in the morning)
Moon (I just love the smell of O3 in the morning)
Leaves Of Grass (2x Edward Norton, More Ed for your buck)
The Boondock Saints (Don't watch this if you like cats)
Return To OZ (Childhood staple)
The Nightmare Before Christmas (Seasonally appropriate 50% of the time.)

Enjoy!

Curious3141
Homework Helper
Life Is Beautiful

Italian film, pretty sure it won Best Film at the oscars when it came out (ie. not Best Foreign Film!), I put of seeing it for years, but when I did it was immediately in my top 5, and a film I'll treasure for a long time to come. Amazing story. Heartbreaking.
Actually, no. It won Best Foreign Film. It was nominated for Best Film but didn't win. However, it also won Roberto Benigni Best Actor. It was also nominated (and won) a few other Academy Awards.

I remember this very clearly - that was one of the last few Awards ceremonies I actually watched live on TV. Benigni's speech was childlike but charming.

Curious3141
Homework Helper
A list of my favourites:

Close Encounters of the Third Kind.
Ghostbusters
Pulp Fiction
Schindler's List
The Omen (the original, of course)
The Exorcist
The Lives of Others (German film)
The Abyss (extended cut)
Ben Hur
Superman

I'm sure others will come to mind.

I got sent here cause I put this in the wrong thread...Dark Knight Rises, absolutely awesome.