What's your greatest physical feat?

turbo

Gold Member
Skiing with two broken arms. Fun.

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
While I was always very active, strength was by far my greatest natural advantage. By the time I was twelve or thirteen I could military press 220 Lbs [all the weights that I owned at the time]. In fact, that weight set was the first major purchase made with my own money.

While I never pursued it when I had the chance, I probably could have made it as a kicker for pro football. I've always had legs like tree stumps - a lead butt but legs like iron. By the 8th grade I was kicking 60 yard punts for the school football team.

Borg

Science Advisor
Gold Member
I can place myself in a state of reduced or absent consciousness, relatively suspended sensory activity, and inactivity of nearly all voluntary muscles. During this time, I can also heighten my anabolic state in order to accentuate the growth and rejuvenation of my immune, nervous, skeletal and muscular systems.

Borek

Mentor
I can place myself in a state of reduced or absent consciousness
I can do that too. I rarely do, as the next day is usually horrible.

Last edited:

Borg

Science Advisor
Gold Member
I can do that too. I rarely do, as the next day is usually horrible.
:rofl: My feat doesn't involve the consumption of organic compounds in which a hydroxyl functional group is bound to a carbon atom.

Last edited:

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I'm doing the Pisgah Mountain trail race tomorrow. http://pisgahmtntrailraces.blogspot.com/
I'm doing the 24k but my wife is running 50k. I'll try to get a video of one of my descents, but in doing so I'll probably break my phone.

And my neck.

So, be foreshadowed: if you don't hear from me within a few days, then I nearly died for you! Send flowers.

Back when I was in high school, I got into olympic-style lifting. My proudest moment was power cleaning over lbs. Mind you, I weighed about 145.

turbo

Gold Member
I'm doing the Pisgah Mountain trail race tomorrow. http://pisgahmtntrailraces.blogspot.com/
I'm doing the 24k but my wife is running 50k. I'll try to get a video of one of my descents, but in doing so I'll probably break my phone.

And my neck.

So, be foreshadowed: if you don't hear from me within a few days, then I nearly died for you! Send flowers.
Should we send flowers to any particular location, or just to our mistresses/paramours?

Borek

Mentor
Not clear to me what 24k (otherwise known as 23k) means. 24 thousands feet up during whole race?

Not clear to me what 24k (otherwise known as 23k) means. 24 thousands feet up during whole race?
It means that the race is 24 kilometres long.

Borek

Mentor
It means that the race is 24 kilometres long.
Can't believe it. Here it would be obvious, but race length measured in km? In US?

Are you sure? :biggrin:

When I was a teenager I swam for a community recreation center swim team. The team was small, perhaps 20 kids in all from the neighborhood but we competed against large regional teams with surprising success. I swam breaststroke and freestyle (an odd combination) and held the state record in my age group for breaststroke. Our relay team set national records in the 200 meter medley and freestyle relays at the Junior Olympics, where I swam the breaststroke leg in the medley and anchored the freestyle. We were fortunate to have a great coach and a group of motivated kids.

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Can't believe it. Here it would be obvious, but race length measured in km? In US?

Are you sure? :biggrin:
Yes, kill-o-meters. The most popular rode-race length in the US is the 10k, although most people call it 6.2 miles. Hillarious how many Americans think the the marathon length, 26.2 miles, is also some metric conversion. Evidently, it was arbitrarily stretched thus to end at Buckingham Palace during the 1926 Olympics, in ... um... Paris.

Anyway, moot point on the flowers, I am not critically injured, but I do have a video of me wiping out at the bottom of a descent (mud). Phone is OK (thanks for caring). All the video is blurry for some reason. I'll still post something soon. It looked something like this:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm looking forward to your video of the race. And that video of the bike race looks amazingly fun; that's more or less what I do with my bike now.

Pythagorean

Gold Member
Baccalaureate of Science in Physics :biggrin:

raddar

Finding out Energy in Physics is only a measurement, and is incorrectly used by most all... and that pressure is what rules the Universe... you cannot eat, see, smell, hear, or feel without exerting pressure... and for that matter, you cannot pull your pants on without exerting pressure.

Borek

Mentor
Finding out Energy in Physics is only a measurement, and is incorrectly used by most all... and that pressure is what rules the Universe... you cannot eat, see, smell, hear, or feel without exerting pressure... and for that matter, you cannot pull your pants on without exerting pressure.
This is too crackpottish for a scientific part of the forum, and too scientific for the GD. Whatever, welcome to PF and please read forum rules. Judging from the way you favor pressure I guess your favorite fish is an inflated blowfish?

i can remove a woman's bra with one hand.

and i can also tie a cherry stem in a knot with my tounge.

in high school, i was quite popular with the ladies... :)

i can remove a woman's bra with one hand.

and i can also tie a cherry stem in a knot with my tounge.

in high school, i was quite popular with the ladies... :)
Being a good dancer will make you a lot more popular with the ladies than tying a not in a bra with your tongue.

Where are my glasses?

Back when I was in high school, I got into olympic-style lifting. My proudest moment was power cleaning over lbs. Mind you, I weighed about 145.
I've been waiting to read -- how many pounds?

cobalt124

Gold Member
Walking to the top of Helvellyn via Striding Edge. Very green, didn't know what I was letting myself in for, but managed it.

http://www.stridingedge.net/Lake%20District%20Features/Striding%20Edge.htm [Broken]

cobalt124

Gold Member
Walking to the top of Helvellyn via Striding Edge. Very green, didn't know what I was letting myself in for, but managed it.

http://www.stridingedge.net/Lake%20District%20Features/Striding%20Edge.htm [Broken]