Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

When and how did math click for you?

1. Sep 19, 2012 #1
    I was just wondering how old you were, and what got you to finally understand math?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2012 #2
    24 and still dont know math. I'm Really eager to learn now! I'm sure I could pay attention, I'm sure I'm sure!

Why do you ask this? are you having some issues in math?

4. Sep 19, 2012 #3

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I am 24 and I still don't understand math :frown:

5. Sep 19, 2012 #4
    There's no epiphany or revelation where it all just starts making sense. It's a slow and painful uphill climb, usually with no end.

Some people enjoy hiking though. :smile:

6. Sep 19, 2012 #5

drizzle

Gold Member

:uhh:

7. Sep 19, 2012 #6
    I'm 24 years old born in 1988 24-1-9-8-8= -2. I was born on the 25th -2+25=23
    For those of you that have seen that Jim Carry movie

8. Sep 20, 2012 #7
    Understand maths? Well I don't understand what you mean.
    I understood how addition of numbers works when I was a kid of 5; I don't still understand how Laplace Transforms work.

9. Sep 20, 2012 #8
    I just mean, when did you start realizing you could actually do math, and possibly do well at it?

10. Sep 20, 2012 #9
    i can do arithmetic, that is to say the application of known and given algorithms to solve numerical and symbolic problems, up to maybe basic complex analysis.

math, the ability to draw new insights from symbolic logic, is extremely hard.

11. Sep 20, 2012 #10
    There was a guy who used to post here named Waht who had the kind of breakthrough you're talking about. For years he couldn't stand math and it just confused him. Then something happened to his way of thinking about it in high school and over the course of a few weeks he suddenly "got" it and started to appreciate what it was all about. It had "clicked". After that he enjoyed it.

12. Sep 20, 2012 #11
    Sometime in very very childhood. I asked my dad many questions about how stuff worked, and he always put the answer in mathematical terms simple enough for me to understand, then he would give me some really interesting practical problems for me to figure out using my new knowledge.

13. Sep 20, 2012 #12
    Math has clicked for me more than once.

First time I can remember was after learning division in elementary school, later that day my dad taught me binary. Realizing arithmetic worked in binary was an amazing discovery for me; realizing counting made sense in a new way, also had a huge impact on me.

Second time I can remember was high school I suppose. I'm not exactly sure what I was studying... Maybe geometry, maybe even calculus... but I know I understood a^2+b^2=c^2 in a vague algebraic way, and I knew how I was supposed to apply it to triangles, but when someone actually drew the picture of a right triangle and each side "squared" and explained how Pythagoras came up with the equation, it was a pretty amazing moment. Definitely "clicked."

14. Sep 20, 2012 #13
    I would say that it certainly didn't click in high school. It wasn't until I entered college as a biotechnology major that I became frustrated with the lack of an axiomatic presentation of this route into science, thus I realized physics was the science for me (it's the necessary foundations imo..)

It was upon this realization that physics is what I wanted and what I needed to study that I came to realize the importance of math. I sort of define physics to be the application of math to the scientific method. Even in my very early days I was forced to take notice how math formed the basis of physics (and thus to me it formed the basis of science.)

After I took this notice I began studying math in a detail which I had never before undertook. I read an algebra and then a precalculus book cover to cover (none of my foundations were solid so I had to work my way up to calculus.) It was at THIS particular time, reading textbooks cover to cover that math "clicked" to me in the sense that I think you are referring. I simply had never given math this sort of time or comprehensive a treatment. An unintentional side effect was that I found math to be infinitely entertaining in the process :D

15. Sep 20, 2012 #14
    When I was in HS, I called up the prettiest girl in the class to ask if we could study together. That's when it clicked for me.

16. Sep 20, 2012 #15

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I took Geometry much later than most students (at a community college when I was ~20). The proofs and just general beauty of it blew my mind. I don't think that would have happened if I had taken it at 14 or 15, like most kids.

17. Sep 20, 2012 #16

Dembadon

Gold Member

Even though my understanding increases as I study more mathematics, the more I study it, the less I seem to understand with respect to the whole picture, if that makes sense. In other words, I feel like I keep opening "doors of new understanding", but the new room I'm looking at is 3 times bigger than the previous room.

We just started Rings and Fields in my abstract algebra course. My brain is giving me the finger.

18. Sep 20, 2012 #17

turbo

Gold Member

When I was about 3 or 4, I started physically grouping things. Buttons, checkers, rocks... anything. I liked the symmetry of numbers like 4 and 16, though I didn't know why at the time, nor did I have any way to even express 16, then. I can't say I "got" any real math 'way back then, but I was eager to get to go to school and learn.

19. Sep 20, 2012 #18
    That's what I'm talking about, I'm kind of going through the same thing. I don't always know how to get the idea of what I am trying to say across.

20. Sep 20, 2012 #19
    I don't think this happens to everyone. Most people understand in small increments, just as it's presented to them. Others are increasingly confused in small increments as it's presented to them. Most of the latter are doomed, but in rare cases a thresh hold is crossed and it all suddenly starts to make greater sense.

21. Sep 20, 2012 #20
    I'm currently working on that....

If I may speculate for a moment, however, I will state that, in order to be successful at mathematics in this modern era, it matters less on how well you can do computational problems, and more so on your ability to solve abstract problems and think in abstract ways. It is more rewarding, and more beneficial for the field and for its occasional real-word applications, for new, out of the box thinking to be supported and striven for.

With the current high school mathematics curriculum, they focus less on the latter, and more on the former, largely giving you the skills to solve various forms of problems in various ways, and not much more than that. It isn't until you get into college that true mathematical thinking is stressed. Making a transition from thinking computationally to abstractly is by no means an easy task, and quite possibly the moment that mathematics "clicks" for certain individuals is invariably the moment in which they have developed the skill of thinking mathematically.

[/speculation]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook