When calculating the momentum expectation value

In summary, when calculating the momentum expectation value in quantum mechanics, the term i(h-bar)d/dx goes between the complex and normal wave functions. To find the expectation value, differentiate the normal wave function and multiply it by the complex wave function. It is important to note that the momentum operator has a negative sign in front of the differential operator.
rwooduk
when calculating the momentum expectation value the term i(h-bar)d/dx goes inbetween the complex PSI and the 'normal' PSI, so do you differentiate the normal PSI and then multiply by the complex PSI? or do you differentiate the product of the two PSI's i.e. the modulus of PSI?

thanks for any direction on this.

Physics news on Phys.org
rwooduk said:
when calculating the momentum expectation value the term i(h-bar)d/dx goes inbetween the complex PSI and the 'normal' PSI, so do you differentiate the normal PSI and then multiply by the complex PSI?

Yes. The expectation value of ##\hat A## is ##\int \Psi^* \hat A \Psi \, dx## where any differential operators in ##\hat A## works to the right.

Likes 1 person
Another hint:
[tex]\hat{p}=-\mathrm{i} \frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d} x}.[/tex]
Note the sign!

Likes 1 person
Brilliant! Many Thanks CC!

vanhees71 said:
Another hint:
[tex]\hat{p}=-\mathrm{i} \frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d} x}.[/tex]
Note the sign!

hm, not sure what you're getting at, the negative sign just comes to the front of the integral, I am probably missing something. but thanks also!

I just wanted to make sure that you get that sign right, because you got it wrong in your original posting!

What is momentum expectation value?

Momentum expectation value is a measure of the average momentum of a particle or system. It is calculated by multiplying the momentum of each possible state by its probability and summing these values.

How is momentum expectation value calculated?

Momentum expectation value is calculated by taking the integral of the momentum operator with respect to the wave function. This integral is then divided by the integral of the wave function itself.

What is the significance of momentum expectation value in quantum mechanics?

Momentum expectation value is an important quantity in quantum mechanics as it provides information about the average momentum of a particle or system. It is also used to calculate other important properties such as the uncertainty in momentum.

Can momentum expectation value be negative?

Yes, momentum expectation value can be negative. This means that the system is more likely to have a negative momentum than a positive one. However, the magnitude of the negative value is still a measure of the average momentum of the system.

How does momentum expectation value relate to Heisenberg's uncertainty principle?

Momentum expectation value is related to Heisenberg's uncertainty principle in that it is used to calculate the uncertainty in momentum. According to the uncertainty principle, the more precisely we know the momentum of a particle, the less precisely we can know its position, and vice versa. Momentum expectation value helps to quantify this relationship.