When Calculators lie will anyone notice?

• Thread starter jedishrfu
  • Start date
Sorry folks, I had to remove some political content from the thread.

-- Jedi

collinsmark
Homework Helper
Gold Member
There is an Android app RealCalc that can work both in RPN and standard calculator mode.
And there is Free42, which I use almost every day on my phone at work...

https://thomasokken.com/free42/
I use an HP48 app. I suspect I might have lost the ability to use a calculator without RPN. (Although I don't know for sure because I haven't tried.)

Likes DennisN
wle
HP and RPN, I love it! I've got an old HP-27 in a drawer somewhere at home.
I have an HP-67 that was handed down to me by my aunt. Unfortunately it no longer works. I am hoping I can get it repaired some time.

They made a retro tribute to one of the HP calculators a few years ago. The guts are modern but the UI is the same classic design.

https://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-35s-scientific-calculator-p-f2215aa-aba--1
I bought one of these that I saw in a shop about a decade ago. HP introduced it in 2007 to commemorate the 35th anniversary of their first pocket scientific calculator, the HP-35. It has been in continual production since then, presumably because it's one of only a few scientific calculators allowed in some professional engineering exams in the US.

It is named after the original HP-35 but by lineage it's a replacement for the HP-33S and descends from the HP-32S and HP-32SII models from the late 1980s and 1990s. In context this makes the HP-35S a mid-range scientific calculator. HP's line of high-end scientifics ended with the HP-42S.

Whether or not you would like it would probably mostly depend on whether you can forgive its long list of bugs (which include failing to calculate trigonometric functions accurately for angles close to multiples of 90 degrees), which HP never seems to have bothered to fix.

Likes berkeman, jedishrfu and DennisN
DrClaude
Mentor
If Free42 would have supported skins (user customizable design) I would have customized it into a 1970s vintage look :smile: .
Note that Free42 presents you with different calculators in portrait and landscape modes.

Likes DennisN
wle
There is an Android app RealCalc that can work both in RPN and standard calculator mode.
I don't think you're limited for choice if you want to use RPN on a computer. The dc calculator (one of the traditional Unix command-line utilities) and Forth programming language are both stack-based and use RPN notation. I am not sure this is so useful in a programming language though. RPN to me seems great for inputting and doing calculations interactively but not so good as far as readability is concerned, which is usually something you want in a programming language.

There are also a lot of emulators of various HP calculator models available, both for the PC and for smartphones and tablets. Free42 is not the only one.

Ibix
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Postscript uses RPN - probably because it's meant to be implemented on fairly low-end hardware and mostly written by other programs.

wle
Emacs also includes an RPN calculator (calc) in its standard distribution. I haven't really used it but the feature list seems quite impressive for a package included in what is ostensibly a text editor.

Likes collinsmark
I tend to fire up python on linux and type in my expression to get a quick answer.

• Informative
Likes berkeman
Stephen Tashi
Science Advisor
As long as people are prone to make errors using the tiny keyboards on calculators, there will be some distrust in the answers - just because they may be answers to the wrong calculations. If a simpler interface is developed, the answers are more likely to be taken for granted.

...just as people who compose text messages by talking aloud tend to think they are writing what they intend!