When can I change the order of plim and Lim?

• Thread starter cuak2000
  • Start date
Hi. I have two questions, one general and one particular.

1) The general one is if you know or can give me a reference of when can I change the order of a probability limit and the pointwise limit of a function (assuming both plim and lim exist)
Say, take a sequence [itex] X_n(k) [/itex] of i.i.d. random variables that are a function of some variable k. In what case is

[itex]
plim_{n \rightarrow \infty }(lim_{k \rightarrow \infty} X_n(k) ) = lim_{k \rightarrow \infty }(plim_{n \rightarrow \infty} X_n(k) ) [/itex]

2) The particular one is: if I know that

[itex] lim_{k \rightarrow \infty }(plim_{n \rightarrow \infty} X_n(k) ) = \infty [/itex]

can I assure also that

[itex] plim_{n \rightarrow \infty }(lim_{k \rightarrow \infty} X_n(k) ) = \infty [/itex] ??

(i realise using infinity here is rather sloppy, but I hope it doesn't cause confusion)

Thanks for your help!

Answers and Replies

We must check whether all the limits exist in the first place.Although the general question is difficult to answer,I have a counterexample for the second ( where the second limit doesn't exist).

Thanks for your reply Eynstone.
Now I think the general problem is that lim[plim(X)]] makes sense (if both limits
exist at least), but that plim[lim(X)] maybe doesn't, since I'm not sure you can take a lim of a random variable.