When did people decide to build upwards

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Build
In summary, people built upwards because land prices drove buildings upwards. However, the original consideration may have been to get as many people as possible into a house as quickly as possible to make a profit. Additionally, this may have been done for a vantage point or just for display of wealth or power.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
A home can be any thing from a one roomed tent to a palace, but when
did people decide to build upwards and why? i can understand todays
land prices drive buildings upward but was that the original consideration?

Physics news on Phys.org
In ancient Rome, there were many property "sharks" who built at least four-story rental blocks. These were readily and cheaply constructed, but unfortunately for the inhabitants, they had a nasty habit of falling down again.
For enterprising souls in a city with a large population pressure on it, getting as many people as you could crammed into your own house meant a big profit.

For a vantage point perhaps? Or just as a display of wealth/power.

It depends where and when.

Early on people lived in natural caves, but some could make cave dwellings.

There are mud and straw huts still in Africa.

Then when tools and skills developed, houses could be build of stone or wood. Wealthy royalty and nobles could build castles, merchants could build mansions, and the vast majority of poor lived in cottages, huts or other small dwellings.

In the US (1600-1800's), people would cut trees and build log cabins. If one had money, one could import lumber. Once lumber (precisely cut timber) could be produced, complicated buildings could be built.

When I bought a house 16 years ago, I bought (mortgaged) what I could afford and have spent nearly as much expanding and upgrading it, so my mortgage is now 1.5x what it was.

Last edited:
Arildno has mentioned (ancient roam) i remember reading that some poor
quarters were multi story in roaman times, but were they the first to build
upwards ?

wolram said:
ancient roam
Yes, that's me. I love to roam, especially in ancient places - like ancient Rome. :biggrin:

Last edited:
I would assume that multi-storey rental buildings could be found in ancient towns like Jericho, Nineveh, and the cities in Old Egypt.

Astronuc said:
Yes, that's me. I love to roam, especially in ancient places - like ancient Rome. :biggrin:
:blushing: my spelling gets worser and worser.

arildno said:
I would assume that multi-storey rental buildings could be found in ancient towns like Jericho, Nineveh, and the cities in Old Egypt.

Notably there is a biblical reference to building high in Babylon. See also the Hanging Gardens of Babylon.

selfAdjoint said:
Notably there is a biblical reference to building high in Babylon. See also the Hanging Gardens of Babylon.
That would be in Nineveh (wasn't that the capital of the Babylonian kingdom?)
Sure, they had monumental buildings, and grand palaces.

But I didn't want to leave the impression that I knew that they had multi-storey common housings (homes?); I don't know that, but I think it was true.

1. When did people first start building upwards?

The earliest evidence of people building upwards dates back to ancient civilizations such as Mesopotamia, Egypt, and China around 3500 BC. These societies constructed tall structures such as ziggurats, pyramids, and pagodas for religious and cultural purposes.

2. What led to the decision to build upwards?

The decision to build upwards was influenced by various factors, including limited space for horizontal expansion, the need for protection from floods or enemies, and a desire to showcase power and wealth. In some cases, religious beliefs and practices also played a role in the decision to construct tall structures.

3. How did the technology for building upwards develop?

The technology for building upwards evolved over time, with advancements in construction techniques, materials, and tools. For example, the invention of the arch and the use of stronger materials like stone and concrete allowed for taller and more stable structures. The development of the elevator also played a significant role in the ability to build upwards.

4. When did skyscrapers first emerge?

The first modern skyscraper, the Home Insurance Building in Chicago, was built in 1885 and stood at 10 stories tall. However, it was not until the 20th century that skyscrapers began to dominate city skylines. The emergence of steel-framed construction and the use of elevators made it possible to build taller and taller buildings.

5. What are some of the tallest buildings in the world?

As of 2021, the tallest building in the world is the Burj Khalifa in Dubai, standing at a height of 828 meters (2,717 feet). Other notable skyscrapers include the Shanghai Tower in China, the One World Trade Center in New York City, and the Petronas Towers in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. Many more tall buildings are currently under construction, showcasing the continued fascination with building upwards.