When does "no slipping" happens

• Thread starter nesan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Slipping
In summary: The energy would be conserved if the angular velocities were the same. However, as the disks are rotating in opposite directions, the momentum is not conserved.
nesan

Homework Statement

Hey everyone

I'm studying for a test and I can't get this concept right in my head

79e53f0734.png

If I bring both disks closer to each other, what exactly makes it so they're not slipping?

The question is this

Two disks are spinning freely about axes that run through their respective centers (see figure below). The larger disk (R1 = 1.42 m) has a moment of inertia of 1140 kg · m2 and an angular speed of 5.4 rad/s. The smaller disk (R2 = 0.60 m) has a moment of inertia of 920 kg · m2 and an angular speed of 8.0 rad/s. The smaller disk is rotating in a direction that is opposite to the larger disk. The edges of the two disks are brought into contact with each other while keeping their axes parallel. They initially slip against each other until the friction between the two disks eventually stops the slipping. How much energy is lost to friction? (Assume that the disks continue to spin after the disks stop slipping.)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know momentum is conserved.

Initial momentum = I1 ω1 + I2 ω2

Kinetic energy is NOT conserved, so Energy Lost = Initial K - Final K

I would use K = 1/2 (I ω)

I know the angular speed also not the same at the end because they have difference radius.

How do I figure out when they're not slipping? What exactly does it mean when it says no slipping?

My best guess was that their tangential velocity is the same, because they're touching.

Initial momentum = Final momentum = 13516

13516 = I ω1f + I ω2f

R1 ω1f = R2 ω2f

ω1f = R2 ω2f / R1

13516 = I (R2 ω2f / R1) + I ω2f

ω2f = 9.66

ω1f = 4.05

Energy Lost = Initial K - Final K

Energy Lost = 0.5(1140 * 5.42 + 920 * 82) - 0.5(1140 * 4.052 + 920 * 9.662) = - 6213.4 J
I end up with a negative energy lost, which seems very wrong.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
nesan said:
My best guess was that their tangential velocity is the same, because they're touching.
Right.

Your disks are rotating in the opposite direction. This does not matter for the energy, but it is important for the momentum.

nesan said:
I know momentum is conserved.
I assume you mean angular momentum.
Bear in mind that each disk is on an axle, and presumably there are forces holding these axles steady.
Angular momentum is only meaningful in relation to a specified reference point. When there are unknown forces from outside the system, you can often make those irrelevant by choosing a reference point about which those forces have no moment. But in this case, no matter which axle you take as your reference, the force from the other axle will have a moment.
I suggest that instead you consider the free body diagram of each disk, putting in an unknown for the frictional force where they meet.

haruspex said:
Angular momentum is only meaningful in relation to a specified reference point.
As there is no net motion of any object, angular momentum is the same for all reference points here.

mfb said:
As there is no net motion of any object, angular momentum is the same for all reference points here.
That's true, and I should have mentioned that, but the important point is that you cannot use conservation of angular momentum here.

Hmm, true, if two identical disks would both rotate in the same direction with the same angular velocity they would come to a halt, getting rid of all angular momentum via their supports. So we have to see how friction changes the angular velocities to find a new conserved quantity.

1. When does "no slipping" happen?

The phenomenon of "no slipping" occurs when the velocity of a rolling object at its point of contact with a surface is equal to the velocity of the surface at that point.

2. How is "no slipping" related to friction?

"No slipping" is related to friction because it is the point at which the frictional force between the rolling object and the surface is equal to the force of gravity acting on the object, allowing it to maintain a constant speed without slipping.

3. Can "no slipping" occur on any surface?

Yes, "no slipping" can occur on any surface as long as the conditions for it to happen are met. This includes a rolling object with a constant velocity and a surface with a compatible velocity at the point of contact.

4. What is the significance of "no slipping" in physics?

The concept of "no slipping" is important in physics because it helps us understand and predict the motion of rolling objects. It also allows us to calculate the forces acting on the object and the energy involved in its motion.

5. How does the coefficient of friction affect "no slipping"?

The coefficient of friction, which is a measure of the roughness of a surface, affects "no slipping" by determining the amount of frictional force that is present between the rolling object and the surface. A higher coefficient of friction will result in a greater frictional force, making it more difficult for "no slipping" to occur.