When does plant stop using nutrients from seed leaves?

In summary, seed leaves, or cotyledons, stop providing nutrients to the plant once the first true leaves have fully developed, usually within 2-3 weeks after germination. The duration of nutrient support varies and seed leaves will continue to provide nutrients until the plant can produce its own through photosynthesis. It is not recommended to remove seed leaves, but if they are no longer contributing to the plant's growth, they can be gently removed. Seed leaves will not regrow if damaged or removed. To ensure the plant receives enough nutrients after seed leaves stop providing, a balanced fertilizer or nutrient-rich soil, along with regular watering and proper sunlight exposure, are essential.
dibilo
Do plants stop making use of nutrients in seed leaves once it develop its first leaves and leave them to die?

Thanks in advance.

Biology news on Phys.org
Depends on the specific plant. Often in dicots like mammoth sunflower sprouts the two cotyledons (seed leaves) are used up and soon fall off, as the stem outgrows their width. I bet there exists a plant who keeps its seed leaves though.

1. When do plant seed leaves stop providing nutrients to the plant?

Seed leaves, also known as cotyledons, typically stop providing nutrients to the plant once the first true leaves have fully developed. This usually occurs within the first 2-3 weeks after germination.

2. How long do seed leaves continue to support the plant?

The duration of nutrient support from seed leaves varies depending on the plant species and environmental conditions. In general, seed leaves will continue to provide nutrients until the plant is able to produce its own through photosynthesis.

3. Can I remove seed leaves once they have stopped providing nutrients?

It is not recommended to remove seed leaves as they serve as a source of food for the developing plant. However, if they have turned yellow or brown and are no longer contributing to the plant’s growth, they can be gently removed.

4. Will seed leaves regrow if they are damaged or removed?

No, seed leaves will not regrow if they are damaged or removed. They are only present during the early stages of plant growth to provide initial nutrients before the plant is able to produce its own.

5. How can I ensure my plant receives enough nutrients after seed leaves stop providing?

After seed leaves have stopped providing nutrients, it is important to provide the plant with a balanced fertilizer or nutrient-rich soil to support its growth. Regular watering and proper sunlight exposure are also essential for the plant to continue thriving.