When is a simple assumption not so simple?

• Thread starter ngm01
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the slope of the tangent line to the equation x^4 - xy^2 + 4xy^2 = 20 at the point (1,2). After setting F(x,y) = x^4 - xy^2 + 4xy^2 - 20 = 0, it is shown that dF/dx = 4x^3 + y^2 + 4y^2 = 24 and dF/dy = 2xy + 8xy = 20 at (1,2). However, the assumption that dy/dx = dF/dX multiplied by dy/dF is incorrect. The correct formula is dy/dx = -dF/dx
ngm01
Greetings, I faced with a problem that states - Find slope of the tangent line to 〖 x〗^4 –

xy^2+ 4xy^2 = 20,at (1,2)

First I set F= x^4 – xy^2+ 4xy^2-20=0

I found dF/dx = 4x^3 + y^2+ 4y^2= 24 ,at (1,2)

then dF/dy = 2xy+8xy,=20 at (1,2) …. Armed with this I then made the assumption that

dy/dx = dF/dX multiplied dy/dF where dy/dF is simply the inverse of dF/dy which led

to dy/dx = 24/20 = 1.2…. however that’s not the answer. The answer is showed as – 1.2,

explained as the perpendicular slope is 20/24 and the tangent slope as - 24/20

Can you tell me what I’m missing here?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
ngm01 said:
Greetings, I faced with a problem that states - Find slope of the tangent line to 〖 x〗^4 –

xy^2+ 4xy^2 = 20,at (1,2)

First I set F= x^4 – xy^2+ 4xy^2-20=0

I found dF/dx = 4x^3 + y^2+ 4y^2= 24 ,at (1,2)

then dF/dy = 2xy+8xy,=20 at (1,2) …. Armed with this I then made the assumption that
First, you have lost the "-" on -xy^2. But even with that, your assumption is not true.
If F(x, y)= 0 (or any constant) then, by the chain rule [itex]F_x+ F_y (dy/dx)= 0[/itex]. From that, [itex]F_y(dy/dx)= -F_x[/itex] so [itex]dy/dx= -F_x/F_y[/itex], not [itex]F_x/F_y[/itex].

dy/dx = dF/dX multiplied dy/dF where dy/dF is simply the inverse of dF/dy which led

to dy/dx = 24/20 = 1.2…. however that’s not the answer. The answer is showed as – 1.2,

explained as the perpendicular slope is 20/24 and the tangent slope as - 24/20

Can you tell me what I’m missing here?

Thanks

Thanks!

1. When is a simple assumption considered not so simple?

A simple assumption is considered not so simple when it fails to accurately explain or predict a phenomenon. This often occurs when the assumption is oversimplified or does not take into account all relevant factors.

2. How can a simple assumption be misleading?

A simple assumption can be misleading when it overlooks important details or variables that may significantly affect the outcome of a situation. This can lead to incorrect conclusions and hinder the progress of scientific research.

3. Can a simple assumption be beneficial in scientific research?

Yes, a simple assumption can be beneficial in scientific research when it is used as a starting point for further investigation. It can provide a basic understanding of a complex system and guide the development of more sophisticated models.

4. What are some ways to test the validity of a simple assumption?

One way to test the validity of a simple assumption is to conduct experiments or gather data to compare the predicted outcome with the actual outcome. Another way is to analyze the assumptions made in the context of the theory and determine if they are reasonable and supported by evidence.

5. How can scientists avoid making overly simplistic assumptions?

Scientists can avoid making overly simplistic assumptions by thoroughly researching and understanding the phenomenon they are studying. They can also consult with colleagues and consider alternative explanations to ensure that their assumptions are well-informed and not overly simplified.