Total Diff: Calculate d(x*y^4)

In summary, using the product rule and the total differential, the calculation of d(x * y ^ 4) with x = 2, y = 3, dx = 0.02, and dy = -0.03 results in a final answer of -4.86. The derivative of a constant times a function with respect to y is the constant times the derivative of the function.
Nanu Nana

Homework Statement

Calculate d (x * y ^ 4) if x = 2, y = 3, dx and dy = 0.02 = -0.03

Homework Equations

Total differential

The Attempt at a Solution

product rule:

d(xy^4) = d/dx (xy^4) dx + d/dy (xy^4) dy
d(xy^4) = y^4 dx + 4xy^3 dy

When x = 2, y = 3, dx = 0.02, y = −0.03
d(xy^4) = (3)^4 (0.02) + 4(2)(3)^3 (−0.03) = 1.62−6.48 = −4.86

Why is d/dy(xy^4)dy not = 4y^3dy but its 4xy^3dy ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes epenguin
Physics news on Phys.org
What makes you think that it is 4y^3, what happened to x?
Since the derivation is with respect to y the x will behave like a constant. So it's 4xy^3.

Oh I thought you had to remove x . Now I understand thank you

The derivative of a constant, c, times a function of y, with respect to y. is c times the derivative: d(cf(y))= c (df/dy)dy. And when you are taking the derivative with respect to y, x is treated as a constant.

Nanu Nana said:
Oh I thought you had to remove x . Now I understand thank you
I hope you do understand, not just you 'thought you had to' and now think 'you have to' do something different.

Have you quoted the question exactly? The exact answer to the question as quoted by you is
(2 + 0.02)×(3 - 0.03)4 - 2×3 = ...

Yours is an answer to a question like "use differential coefficients to calculate approximately...".
Compare the result.

1. What is total differential?

Total differential is a mathematical concept that measures the change in a function with respect to multiple variables. It takes into account all the variables that affect the function's value and calculates the combined effect of these variables on the function's output.

2. How do you calculate total differential?

To calculate total differential, you need to use the chain rule and the partial derivatives of the function with respect to each variable. The formula for total differential is dF = ∂F/∂x * dx + ∂F/∂y * dy + ... + ∂F/∂z * dz, where F is the function and x, y, z are the variables that affect it.

3. What is the purpose of calculating total differential?

The purpose of calculating total differential is to understand how a function changes with respect to its variables. It is particularly useful in fields such as physics, economics, and engineering, where multiple variables affect the outcome of a process or system.

4. Can you give an example of calculating total differential?

Yes, for the function F(x,y) = x*y^4, the total differential would be dF = 4xy^3 * dx + x^2 * 4y^3 * dy.

5. How is total differential related to partial differential?

Total differential and partial differential are closely related concepts. Total differential takes into account all the variables that affect a function, while partial differential only considers the change in the function with respect to one variable while keeping others constant.