1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

When is it safe to use eV units and when do we have to convert eV units into kg?

1. Dec 27, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have a misunderstanding of when I can safely use eV units in a formula. For example in the formula p = [itex]\sqrt{\frac{E^{2} - m^{2}c^{4}}{c^{2}}}[/itex] I can put the energy and mass in terms of MeV and get an answer with units MeV/C, which makes sense. But then there was this formula I was using e[itex]^{-\sqrt{\frac{2m (V-E)}{h^{2}}}x} [/itex]

where m is mass, v is potential, e is energy, h bar squared on bottom (I couldnt find symbol) and x is in metres. It is supposed to give probability which is dimensionless. However, if I put in mass, potential and energy in terms of eV, I get a wrong answer. if I convert the mass into kg, put potential and energy in terms of joules then I get the correct answer. Why could I use eV in the first case but had to convert in the second case? is it because I am multiplying by x which is in metres so it somehow does not work with eV? what if I had another formula with mass/energy and was multiplying by a speed with units m/s? would I again have to convert all eV units into kg/joules etc?

Are there any general rules I should keep in mind whilst working with eV?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 27, 2012 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi DunWorry! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(it's the obvious … \hbar :wink:)

The only unit you've changed is the mass unit (by a factor MeV/kg).

If the terms in the top line of your formula all contain MeV, then since the bottom line (c2) doesn't contain mass at all, there's no difficulty: the result will be in MeV.

In your second formula, the bottom line (##\hbar##2) does contain mass, so it won't work unless you rewrite h in terms of Mev. :wink:

(so the general rule is that it's ok to change the mass unit, so long as you change it everywhere)​

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook