When is the Best Time to Throw a Ball for Maximum Height?

In summary, the conversation is about the best time to throw a ball to reach the highest height, either right after the feet leave the ground or at the peak height of the jump. The attempt at a solution involves using the SUVAT equations and considering the maximum height as the criteria. It is concluded that throwing the ball immediately after jumping would result in a higher height, with an explanation using the equation v=u-gt.
Gbox

Homework Statement

A kid is throwing a ball to the celling, when will be the best time to throw the ball so the ball will reach the highest height , right after his feet leave the ground or at the peak height of his jump? provide a geometric explanation too (do not uses forces)

Homework Equations

[itex]x=x_0+vt+\frac{at^2}{2}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Jump and throw immediately: [itex]x=x_0+(v_{throw}+v_{jump})t-\frac{gt^2}{2}[/itex]

Jump and throw in mid air: [itex]x=x_0+v_{jump}t-\frac{gt^2}{2}+v_{throw}t-\frac{gt^2}{2}[/itex]

therefore the "Jump and throw immediately" will provide a higher result, as the deceleration is just once.

As for the geometric explanation I can not find one that does not use mass maybe "Jump and throw" is one parabola and "Jump and throw in mid air" is a half parabola+ another parabola?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't find your algebraic justification convincing. You do not know t, and in the second equation the two t's may be different. You need to use a different SUVAT equation.

Sorry I am new here, what does SUVAT means?

Gbox said:
A kid is throwing a ball to the celling, when will be the best time to throw the ball,...
What is the definition of "best" for this problem? What criteria are to be maximized or minimized?

so the ball will reach the highest height, I have edit the question and added it

Gbox said:
Sorry I am new here, what does SUVAT means?
The SUVAT equations apply when acceleration is constant. The name comes from the five standard variables in them. Each equation involves a different four of the five variables. To choose an equation for the task, consider which four are of interest.
Usually you will know the values of three and need to evaluate a specific fourth.
Other times, you may have two different motions covered by SUVAT (horizontal and vertical motion of one body; motion in one line by two different bodies) which share some unknown (time, distance), making that unknown "of interest".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equations_of_motion#Uniform_acceleration

Likes Gbox
So I have rethought about it, I am just interested in the max height therefore I should use ##v=u-gt##.
So for we have Jump and throw immediately: ##x_1=x_0+(v_1+v_2)t##
And Jump and throw in mid air: ##x_2=x_0+v_1t_1+v_2t_2##
Because we know that the time depends on the gravity ##v-gt=0## we have ##t=\frac{v}{10}##

and overall Jump and throw immediately: ##x_1=x_0+\frac{(v_1+v_2)^2}{10}##
Jump and throw in mid air: ##x_2=x_0+\frac{v_1^2}{10}+\frac{v_2^2}{10}##

Gbox said:
So I have rethought about it, I am just interested in the max height therefore I should use ##v=u-gt##.
So for we have Jump and throw immediately: ##x_1=x_0+(v_1+v_2)t##
And Jump and throw in mid air: ##x_2=x_0+v_1t_1+v_2t_2##
Because we know that the time depends on the gravity ##v-gt=0## we have ##t=\frac{v}{10}##

and overall Jump and throw immediately: ##x_1=x_0+\frac{(v_1+v_2)^2}{10}##
Jump and throw in mid air: ##x_2=x_0+\frac{v_1^2}{10}+\frac{v_2^2}{10}##
Yes, except you lost a factor of 2 somewhere.
Since you do not care about time I would have started with the SUVAT equation v2-u2=2as (basically, energy conservation with the mass canceled out), but you effectively derived that by combining two others.

What is the best time to throw a ball?

The best time to throw a ball depends on the context and purpose of throwing the ball. For sports such as baseball or football, the best time to throw the ball is when the intended receiver is open and in a good position to catch it. For games like dodgeball, the best time to throw the ball could be when the opponent is not paying attention or when they are off balance. In general, it is best to throw the ball when the target is in a favorable position to receive it.

Does the time of day affect throwing a ball?

The time of day can definitely affect throwing a ball, especially in outdoor activities. During the day, factors such as wind, sunlight, and temperature can impact the trajectory and distance of the ball. For example, throwing a ball in the late afternoon when the sun is setting may result in difficulty seeing the ball. In contrast, throwing a ball at night might be challenging due to low visibility. Therefore, it is essential to consider these factors when deciding on the best time to throw a ball.

Is there a specific time of year that is better for throwing a ball?

The best time of year for throwing a ball can vary depending on the activity. For instance, summer might be the best time for outdoor sports like baseball or soccer, as the weather is generally warmer and drier. However, for indoor sports like basketball, the time of year may not make much of a difference. Additionally, some people may prefer throwing a ball during the cooler months to avoid the heat. Ultimately, the best time of year for throwing a ball is subjective and can vary depending on personal preferences and the specific sport.

Are there any physical factors that determine the best time to throw a ball?

Yes, there are several physical factors that can affect the best time to throw a ball. These include the strength and coordination of the thrower, as well as their physical surroundings. For example, a person with a shoulder injury may not be able to throw a ball as effectively as someone without an injury. Additionally, the size and layout of the playing area can also impact the best time to throw a ball. For instance, throwing a ball in a small, enclosed space may require more precision and control compared to a larger, open area.

How can one determine the best time to throw a ball in a specific situation?

The best time to throw a ball in a specific situation can be determined by considering various factors such as the purpose of the throw, the environment, and the abilities of the thrower and the target. For example, in a game of catch, the best time to throw the ball might be when the partner is ready and facing towards the thrower. In a competitive sport, the best time to throw the ball might be when the opposing team is least expecting it. Ultimately, the best time to throw a ball in a specific situation can be determined by assessing the specific circumstances and making a strategic decision.